Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a used 2001 STS and I love it! This :) is my first Caddy - so I have some questions:
-What is the best service manual/shop manual and how can I get it?
-It appears that I should be using 5w-30 oil. Would synthetic be best?
-I found a list of option codes in the trunk. How can I find what these codes are? Example what is FE9?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1) Helm, or nothing else.
2) NO do not use synthetic... Northstars like Dino Juice better; many have reported that oil use and oil leaks INCREASE with the use of synthetics. If you want to use something fancy, diesel formulated oil is the very best.
3) most code are here www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/rpocodes.htmlhttp://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html and here http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html
The first list is for 2004+ cars and the second list is for older stuff you should be able to get all of them between the two.

Enjoy!... Nice Car!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mike Green said:
I have just purchased a used 2001 STS and I love it! This :) is my first Caddy - so I have some questions:
-What is the best service manual/shop manual and how can I get it?
-It appears that I should be using 5w-30 oil. Would synthetic be best?
-I found a list of option codes in the trunk. How can I find what these codes are? Example what is FE9?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....
The codes in the trunk are option/feature codes. They designate, without a doubt, what components were used originally in the construction of your vehicle. The FE9 code you mentioned referes to the suspension I believe. Your factory paint code most likely begins with a U. Mainly these are used by technicians when replacing parts, etc. If you have the original window sticker, you'll see the option codes listed next to the various features, and they will be duplicated in the trunk along with many more that don't appear on a window sticker or invoice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will order my Helm manual immediately.
2 more questions:

-How can I find the sunroof drain tubes, and can they be blown out with compressed air?

-Is 5w30 Castrol gtx oil ok? The car will be used mostly during the summer (highway), and minimal winter driving.

Thanks.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Mike Green