Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, some of you may remember me. I've owned 3 STS' now. 2 1999's and one 96. Anyways, I currently have a 2002 Escalade which I do enjoy driving around in, but there is no comparison when it comes to driving an STS. I absolutely LOVE sitting in an STS.

I found a 2001 crimson pearl with navigation/sunroof and all that. Black interior with only 44,000 miles. The price is only $12995. Obviously I would be trading down from the Escalade. That mileage and navigation attracted me.

Will the navigation play DVDs? Which year was more prone to the headgasket failure? I was thinking it was the 01 model, but I may be wrong. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
It will play DVDs, and 2003 is too new to have a seriously neglected cooling system, which seems to be the single biggest cause of gasket failures. Change every two years to be very safe, otherwise three, regardless of miles.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will play DVDs, and 2003 is too new to have a seriously neglected cooling system, which seems to be the single biggest cause of gasket failures. Change every two years to be very safe, otherwise three, regardless of miles.
The 2001 model will play DVDs?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
2000 and up are better on headgaskets than earlier models.
Simply change small fan belt (driver side near radiator). $11 part.
Keep an eye on temp.
I always drive with temp posted on DIC.

You will do well. Other major expensive repair could be suspension system if that has 'active' suspension. Just talking off top of my head re suspension.
Car might not have that.

You should do well with car--provided that you take it for a one hour driver prior to purchasing it. Keep checking engine temp. Also, talk with prev owner. Pull maint records. Look at hoses and water pump. If they are new, then you need to ask more questions and perhaps become suspicious of why they are selling it.

By the way, that is a bargain price.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
The 2001 model will play DVDs?
No 2002 was the first year that played DVDs

The most "common year" seems to change every year... about 2 years ago 1997 was THE bad year for head gaskets... This has slowly been shifting to newer cars each year as they age and the coolant is neglected.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The 2000+ engines have different engineering measures to combat head gasket problems (better block metallurgy and different head bolt thread/pitch). It's still not completely unknown to have a 2000+ car with head gasket problems, but the occurance has seemed to declined sharply with the MY2000 changes.

All STSes have the active suspension. In 2001, it was CV-RSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension). In late 2002 and 2003, it was Magnaride. That seems to be a pretty good deal; is it private party or retail? I bought my White Diamond 2001 STS in January from a Cadillac dealer in Greensboro, with 57k miles, for $13,4xx as I recall. They were asking something like $15,900 I believe.

I would ask for a service history of the car (much of the service was likely done at a GM dealership, and you can have them print out the car's history from VIS or Vehicle Information System. I would also pony up for a Carfax report, just to verify or deny any other information. I don't trust information from Carfax by itself, but it usually helps to complete the picture if you're already unsure of something.

·
Registered
CTS
47 Posts
HI - I have a 2001 STS - how can you view the engine running temp while driving (other than guage)?.
Thanks Peter

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Unfortunatelly, you can't see it thru the dash readout like pre '98 models

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I would also pony up for a Carfax report, just to verify or deny any other information. I don't trust information from Carfax by itself, but it usually helps to complete the picture if you're already unsure of something.
I don't know about anyone else but if a dealer doesn't freely give a Carfax report on a car they wish to sell then they're certainly not going to sell a car to me. If you're buying from a dealer you should NEVER pay for a Carfax report on it... but if it's a private party that's a slightly different story. Although any time I've gone to sell a car privately I've always ran a Carfax on it and printed out copies for potential buyers accordingly, but that might just be me I guess.

Anyway... here's a question I've been wondering and have yet to find a definitive answer on. What type of suspension does my SLS have. I know the STSs had the CVRSS until '03 when they were upgraded to the Magnaride. Both of these systems are referred to as "active" suspensions. One of the things I've seen people boast about on their STSs over the SLS is the "active" suspension. Yet from some of the things I've read, the SLSs have the CVRSS system as well. Is this correct or am I mistaken? If it is so then what exactly is the difference in the suspensions between the SLS and the pre-'03 STS?

Again, just something I've been wondering about.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but if a dealer doesn't freely give a Carfax report on a car they wish to sell then they're certainly not going to sell a car to me. If you're buying from a dealer you should NEVER pay for a Carfax report on it... but if it's a private party that's a slightly different story. Although any time I've gone to sell a car privately I've always ran a Carfax on it and printed out copies for potential buyers accordingly, but that might just be me I guess.

I would add that my personal experience has been that Carfax is a useless tool. Incomplete at best, misleading at worse.

Save your (and your dealer's) money. Spend the time and effort having a trusted mechanic and/or bodyman look over the car. This is the ONLY way to Guarantee that the car hasn't been in an accident or mechanical issues.

As well GM dealers have and are usually happy to provide (for free) a service history of any car that you own (or are about to buy). Of course this service history will only include the service done at GM dealers.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I would add that my personal experience has been that Carfax is a useless tool. Incomplete at best, misleading at worse.

Save your (and your dealer's) money. Spend the time and effort having a trusted mechanic and/or bodyman look over the car. This is the ONLY way to Guarantee that the car hasn't been in an accident or mechanical issues.

As well GM dealers have and are usually happy to provide (for free) a service history of any car that you own (or are about to buy). Of course this service history will only include the service done at GM dealers.
Of course you should have your car checked out by a reputable mechanic, that doesn't even need to be said.

My point was in response to having to pay for a carfax from a dealer, which you should never do. While a carfax tells nothing of a cars mechanical condition it does however tell whether or not a car has a clean title. Even GM can't provide that kind of information.

The fact remains that if dealer doesn't want to provide one then there are many other dealers that will, at least in this area. A lot of dealer's have a prepaid subscription for it and should offer to provide one to potential buyers. If a dealer isn't even willing to shell out a few extra dollars in order to close a deal then it's a pretty good sign as to how they'll treat you after the sale.

It's little things like that which can be very telling about a dealer.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I guess this is a "State by State" thing. Where I live if you buy a car from a dealer, ANY dealer, you can be guaranteed of a clean title. If they sell you a stolen car there are lots of penalties for the dealership, again your state might differ, but where I live dealerships are ULTRA careful that the cars on there lot are clean.

And another warning about Carfax. If you are relying on it to guarantee that your car's title is clean on a private sale this is also a big mistake. Again this varies state by state... but many states now have "Protection of Privacy" laws that prevent the wholesale release/sale of this information to companies like Carfax.

Again the only way to Guarantee that the car you are considering is not stolen and is lean free is to visit your local DMV. They will tell you if the car is "clean" or who to talk to to make sure it is. In your state Carfax might be on this list, but it might not.

I would NEVER trust Carfax for any info on an Out of State car!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't trust carfax either. Actually, I have a really good idea that the place I bought my car from buys cars from auction with damage but that have clean carfax reports. I won't state all the reasons, but the carfax is a good way to con some people I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts