Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post but I have been following your excellent forum for a couple years now.

I have a strong background in auto, motorcycle, small engines as well as mechanical and electrical engineering for several decades.

I have a 2001 Seville STS and have a number of electrical issues. As recommended in other posts, I bought a factory manual but it is for a 2000. Checking grounds was my first project but when I got to G101 and G106, they are not located where the 2000 manual shows.

G101 is not under the coolant tank after removing it twice, but I found one on the radiator panel behind the Air cleaner box and cleaned it. Is this G101? Was it moved?

G106 is supposed to be above G109 & G110 (which are there) but I cannot see G106. I have removed the lower plastic "belly pan" but there is no ground module there. Was it moved or Do I have to remove the radiator? Where G106 is supposed to be is a large multi pin , in line harness connector which I suspect might be dirty but it is not a ground. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,453 Posts
For instant gratification - and the wiring may have changed year to year - look at a multi-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. It's the proper year GM/Cadillac service manuals, updated, plus a LOT more.

·
Registered
2001 STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Submariner.

I signed up for AllData and it and it is much easier to navigate than the 3 volume factory manual.
Thanks for the advice.

Both the manual and AllData show G101 below the coolant tank. When I removed everything,
there is just a tapped hole where the ground module is supposed to be. The wiring cable that is there is longer going past the hole up to the rear of the radiator panel behind the air cleaner/computer box. The harness has not been spliced unless the dealership replaced the entire harness.
I have owned the car since 2004 when it was still in warranty. Since the warranty, I am the only one to work on it. Now have 158,000 miles.
So, I am not sure that this is a mid year change or a pre 2002 or what.
Maybe this will help someone else.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Thanks, Submariner.

I signed up for AllData and it and it is much easier to navigate than the 3 volume factory manual.
Thanks for the advice.

Both the manual and AllData show G101 below the coolant tank. When I removed everything,
there is just a tapped hole where the ground module is supposed to be. The wiring cable that is there is longer going past the hole up to the rear of the radiator panel behind the air cleaner/computer box. The harness has not been spliced unless the dealership replaced the entire harness.
I have owned the car since 2004 when it was still in warranty. Since the warranty, I am the only one to work on it. Now have 158,000 miles.
So, I am not sure that this is a mid year change or a pre 2002 or what.
Maybe this will help someone else.
That is the correct location of G101 as shown by my service manual. Up by the radiator support not under the coolant tank. And G104 is on the right frame rail behind the radiator supports. I wonder if the manuals were updated and Alldata is using old info or is using one year's manual across several years. I just checked a MOTOR manual and they show the incorrect under coolant tank location as well. I can see where that would be confusing. But, the up to date GM service manual has it in the correct spot.

·
Registered
2001 STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Russell, this clears things up.
I found G104 before and cleaned it.
If G106 is where it is supposed to be, I cannot get to it let alone see it. If it is above G106 &
G109 - it must be behind all of the wiring harnesses that are tightly in place. I have tried to pr
the harnesses back with no luck. If so then how to get at it? Remove the radiator?

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
If you are still looking for G101. It can be accessed by removing the left headlamp assembly if I remember correctly. No Sevilles of that era currently at the shop so I can't verify. But from memory if you remove the plastic cover on the upper radiator support you should be able to see it forward of the radiator and behind the headlamp assembly. It will look like a little black box with a metal tab bolted to the body. If I am remembering correctly it is a lot easier to deal with the the headlamp out of the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts