Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My beloved 2001 STS, 93,000 Miles, has developed a refrigerant leak just behind the driver side front tire. It is a very slow leak, in fact it took a couple of weeks to run dry with engine off the full time.

I believe this to be an A/C hose. From what I can see, it looks like it would be really difficult to access and change out the hose, almost like the motor would have to be removed first.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
M….

·
Registered
33 Posts
Metal line or rubber hose or where rubber connects to metal and crimped on?

I have had great results with Red Angel AC stop leak. It's 34.99-39.99 a bottle/can but it is the only stop leak I have ever used that actually worked more times than not AND it has a money back guarantee (which I have used 2-3 times) so nothing to lose.
I have uses this product well over a dozed times with 70% + positive results.
It WILL NOT clog up or harm anything in the system.

I prefer the 2oz bottle but you need an oil injector or inline oil installer to put that in unless you open a line at a fitting.
The aerosol can works but the little clear hose is flimsy and leaks a little on your hand but it still gets in there so all in all same difference.

I have had it make a week leak a 2 month leak and a 2-3 month leak stop all together.

Some leaks it is not going to do much in anything but always worth a try.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,984 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO - DON'T PUT ANY STOP-LEAK CRAP IN THE AC SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,984 Posts
Metal line or rubber hose or where rubber connects to metal and crimped on?

I have had great results with Red Angel AC stop leak. It's 34.99-39.99 a bottle/can but it is the only stop leak I have ever used that actually worked more times than not AND it has a money back guarantee (which I have used 2-3 times) so nothing to lose.
I have uses this product well over a dozed times with 70% + positive results.
It WILL NOT clog up or harm anything in the system.

I prefer the 2oz bottle but you need an oil injector or inline oil installer to put that in unless you open a line at a fitting.
The aerosol can works but the little clear hose is flimsy and leaks a little on your hand but it still gets in there so all in all same difference.

I have had it make a week leak a 2 month leak and a 2-3 month leak stop all together.

Some leaks it is not going to do much in anything but always worth a try.
=====================
you seem to really like the mickeymouse way of dealing with problems -

notice I did NOT use the word FIX -

·
Registered
33 Posts
=====================
you seem to really like the mickeymouse way of dealing with problems -

notice I did NOT use the word FIX -
No reason to be rude or condescending.
Just offering up a way that could very much satisfy the OP with the issue.
I can fully assure you or anyone else that the Red Angel will not do any harm to the system at all.
Notice this is the only one I recommended.
The stop leak or cans with 1-2oz of stop leak are harmless too but rarely do anything to help. Seal conditioners if anything.
There are others out there are a BIG NEVER USE.
Maybe you are confusing Red Angel with them .
Some other ac stop leaks will clog up system, orifice tube/expansion valve, possibly more with a rubbery grey stringy goop! Do NOT use.
Red Angel that I specifically mentioned is an oil like liquid and I have used probably 20 times and not one clog up or one restriction or high side over-pressure.

I understand some people are against any "additives" or quick fix snake oils but this is one of the few products that often lives up to its description.

I am an air conditioning guru and willing to go head to head with anyone's knowledge of ac systems, component function, phase changes, diagnosis and repair of auto and other HVAC systems.
Not everything has to always be done one "right" way to achieve satisfactory results AND satisfactory results are often entirely defined by the owner.

I know I'm the "newbie" here but I am FAR from new to auto repair.
I'm not looking to get into it with anyone and don't initiate any rudeness to other posters but if others wish to argue about something I have done or seen first hand many times when they have likely never used or even held in their hand -said product- they are working off some preconceived opinion that is based on little fact or experience.
The internet is full of experts and things to never do or always do etc.

I'll posy my results and let others decide for themselves.

·
Registered
2001 STS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No reason to be rude or condescending.
Just offering up a way that could very much satisfy the OP with the issue.
I can fully assure you or anyone else that the Red Angel will not do any harm to the system at all.
Notice this is the only one I recommended.
The stop leak or cans with 1-2oz of stop leak are harmless too but rarely do anything to help. Seal conditioners if anything.
There are others out there are a BIG NEVER USE.
Maybe you are confusing Red Angel with them .
Some other ac stop leaks will clog up system, orifice tube/expansion valve, possibly more with a rubbery grey stringy goop! Do NOT use.
Red Angel that I specifically mentioned is an oil like liquid and I have used probably 20 times and not one clog up or one restriction or high side over-pressure.

I understand some people are against any "additives" or quick fix snake oils but this is one of the few products that often lives up to its description.

I am an air conditioning guru and willing to go head to head with anyone's knowledge of ac systems, component function, phase changes, diagnosis and repair of auto and other HVAC systems.
Not everything has to always be done one "right" way to achieve satisfactory results AND satisfactory results are often entirely defined by the owner.

I know I'm the "newbie" here but I am FAR from new to auto repair.
I'm not looking to get into it with anyone and don't initiate any rudeness to other posters but if others wish to argue about something I have done or seen first hand many times when they have likely never used or even held in their hand -said product- they are working off some preconceived opinion that is based on little fact or experience.
The internet is full of experts and things to never do or always do etc.

I'll posy my results and let others decide for themselves.
Thanks for the response - I will think about the additive.

Has anyone tried changing the a/c hoses? A shop here will make custom a/c lines using the damaged lines. They crimp new rubber lines onto the original fittings.

If the job proves to be too expensive to repair, I may go the additive route.

Not a summer for no A/C :).

Thanks,
M...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have repaired a few lines in the past and replaced line sets on cars. Most of mine has been custom work on limos and party buses. On a regular vehicle it would be more cost-effective normally just to by the new line that's affected and replace it.
I've had a couple of older GM's that the crimps got weak and I simply had to squeeze them with a couple of pairs of vice grips to tighten them up to prevent the leak. This was of course on the low-pressure larger low side.
I've also had other crimp fittings leak and just cut them off and go to the local AC shop and have them weld up the correct fitting size with the barbed end on the end so I could slide it in and hose clamp it with a refrigeration clamp.
It feels funny nowadays but remember all of the cars up until the late 60s and some a few years later used Refrigeration clamps over the rubber to squeeze it to the barbed fitting end on many connections

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,848 Posts
Speaking of the old days, whatever happened to the sight glass?
A REAL quick way of checking the Freon charge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Speaking of the old days, whatever happened to the sight glass?
A REAL quick way of checking the Freon charge.
Some of the Imports had them until much later but they are rare to find today. Fortunately, many of the things I work on do have sight glasses because they are often built into the liquid filter dryers on the RV's and the bus systems that are installed on large stretch SUV limos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts