Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 STS that has 100K. replaced spark plugs and just wondering if I should be worrying about other service at this point such as transmission, brake fluid replacement etc....? Any help is appreacited!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
I change trans fluid and brake fluid at 100K. Not a bad idea. TB should have been cleaned at least 3 times by now by GM recommendations (more by mine).

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
As far as GM engineering is concerned, the Maintenance Schedule section of the Owner's Manual is a good place to start. Everthing else is subjective.

"MY" Maintenance Schedule includes;
brake fluid @ 3 years maximum
transmission fluid @ 100,000 miles (use Dexron VI)
accessory and water pump drive belts @ 100,000 miles
throttle body service (cleaning) @ 25,000 miles or as needed
engine cooling system (Dexcool) @ 3 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs FIRST)​

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
TB is Throttle Body you can use throttle body cleaner, there's a good how to in tech tips section also what spark plugs did you use?

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Yep - use throttle body cleaner as mentioned, not carb cleaner which is a much harsher solvent specific to that application.

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
They also hav electrical cleaner which will do the same thing just not hurt any of the sensors or electrical components in the Throttle body such as the egr valve

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Also a good time to flush the power steering system. Remove the cap and unclamp the upper hose with an 8-ounce Pyrex measuring cup underneath to collect the fluid. Then replace with the same amount (probably 6 ounces exactly), drive for a while (or at least start and move the wheels through their full range of motion a few times) and repeat until the fluid you drain looks like new fluid.

If the first fluid you drain is dark, expect to use 3-5 quarts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts