Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having starting problems with a 2001 Seville SLS. Started as bad idle/hard start, went to not starting at all. I pulled codes and had a bad Map and CMP sensors.
I replaced them in addition to a few more things; fuel filter, air filter, MAF sensor, battery and fuel pressure regulator. Car ran for 2 days with no problems, then wouldn't start at all.
Sprayed starting fluid down the air intake and no luck. I decided to check for fuel pressure and had 39 lbs off the rail. Tried turning it over and it started!! Checked the pressure, was at about 36 lbs.
So I decided to try to either get a new code or kill it. I ran her up to 4500 (wouldn't rev any higher) and held her at 3500 for about 5 seconds. No hick ups and the pressure at the fuel rail remained at about 36 lbs.
Checked to see if it would start after the garage cleared out fumes and the car started.

Now my question is should I replace the fuel pump or the CKP sensor, I don't have a code dealing with either of these.
Or do I keep looking?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
A mod will move to your own thread.
If it didn't run on start fluid not a fuel issue.

What codes is the car showing now? Please post definition with codes and if current or history.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,883 Posts
Posts moved from a 5 year old dead thread.

Our engines have a rev limiter in N or P set to about 4,000 rpm to prevent just what you were trying to do.

Fuel pressure is supposed to be 41 - 47 at key: ON, over 40 psi running. If you replaced the FPR and the fuel filter that points to fuel pump problems. You would probably be better off to replace the entire assembly - under the inspection hatch in the trunk floor, just forward of the spare tire well. RockAuto. AC Delco, Airtex, DELPHI, UltraPower.

As posted, pull your diagnostic codes from the car's built-in code system. No scanner needed. Post any codes found as well as the definition of each. It would help if you also posted whether each code was Current or History.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,193 Posts
Mine idles at 38 psi. I doubt 36-39 would cause you a no start problem. Change it if you want, but I wouldn't.

CKP sensors could be another story. They do tend to fail eventually on all 2000-2003 cars and many times do not set a DTC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts