Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be crazy for trying to make this ting go any faster than the stock N* will let me now, I'm working with what I have yk. But, does anyone know about ECU tuning, if its possible at all and if not what can I do to try to at least get it to STS numbers.
I found a chip that claims to actually get HP out of it but I've never tuned before and have no idea what I'd be looking for. Heres the link if yall wanna check it out: Stage 2 Performance Chip Module OBD2 For Cadillac
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,051 Posts
The 2000 - 2004 Northstar PCM has not been hacked to date. The so-called "performance chip" is a simple 25 cent resistor in a cutesy $60 box that plugs into the MAF harness to fool IAT (intake air temperature) into thinking it's colder than actual, thus richening the overall fuel mixture. It causes poor fuel mileage, a slight performance decrease, and may set fuel/-air mixture diagnostic codes.

The 275 hp 3.11 final drive powertrain in your car is all it can be - no aftermarket parts and the powertrain is calibrated for the rest of the car and its options.

The ONLY current worthwhile modification, and not much for the SLS VIN Y, is a CORSA cat-back exhaust system - special order now, about $1700. www.corsaperformance.com (Edit: Checked their website. The system is no longer offered even as a special order.)

Keep it clean, enjoy it for what it is, and drive it like you stole it. Study all the stickies in this forum and in the Engines; Northstar forum - timeless info threads marked with a push pin.

FWIW the SLS and other VIN Y Northstar FWD cars are speed limited to 112 mph - the rating of the original tires, on the driver's door edge sticker. The engine is rpm limited to 4,000 when n P or N and the WOT redline upshift is at about 6,400 rpm. Your 2001 uses the later roller cammed engine, takes 5W-30 oil and is calibrated to run on 87 octane fuels - the PCM WILL NOT advance timing past the set 35 degrees BTDC - and the only time you'll see that number is at about 50 mph at very light road load speeds. At all other times the timing is extremely dynamic, varying several degrees with each movement of the gas pedal. It drops back to 18 - 25 degrees at WOT acceleration, just like every other gasoline car on the planet.

Welcome to CF !!!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,824 Posts
I might be crazy for trying to make this ting go any faster than the stock N* will let me now, I'm working with what I have yk. But, does anyone know about ECU tuning, if its possible at all and if not what can I do to try to at least get it to STS numbers.
I found a chip that claims to actually get HP out of it but I've never tuned before and have no idea what I'd be looking for. Heres the link if yall wanna check it out: Stage 2 Performance Chip Module OBD2 For Cadillac
Any help is greatly appreciated!
============================

OK - I understand EXACTLY what you want -
and EXACTLY what you are looking for -

I have created a COMPREHENSIVE LIST of ALL PROVEN products and modifications
that are ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED to either increase POWER or ECONOMY - or BOTH -

EVERYTHING between these RED lines have been PROVEN - ON A DYNAMOMETER -

READY?

=====================================
CORSA EXHAUST SYSTEM - $1500 plus labor -
power gain - ON THE STS MODEL - around 15HP -
at WOT - Wide Open Throttle - at Red Line -
=====================================

YUP - that's it - 15HP - but - ONLY on the STS -
you'll actually get NOTHING - other than a GREAT SOUND -

your SLS has another issue - the SPEED LIMITER -

your TOP SPEED is limited to 112mph - then the fuel injectors shut down -
and there is no way around it -

your Seville is NOT a muscle car - never was - never will be -

enjoy it for what it IS - a 4000 pound Cadillac 4-door sedan -
and don't blame it for what it isn't and never will be -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: all

Thank you everyone for replying to this post your help is much appreciated! I love the car and don't plan on selling it anytime soon or ruining the original Caddy charm it has, frankly its already way too fast for a 4 door sedan. Excited to continue hanging around the forums reading all of your posts im sure yall will be hearing from me when i come across odd issues that I'll definetly need help figuring out from more experienced sorts like yourselves.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply you all are the best!

Much appreciated,
-J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts