Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
2001 SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
+im trying to find a sensor that has the ability to have the fuel pump voltage shut down. i havnt ruled out bad wiring or the ignition switch. does the security system have any motion type sensors that can cause no voltage to the pump. i dont have a good wiring diagram to see whats in the fuel pump circuit.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,039 Posts
For the fuel pump problem, I ditto Byrdman's suggestion of the fuel tank baffles being a problem.

All modem daily drivers have a square like box mounted to the bottom of the fuel tank with tiny holes. The fuel pump hangs inside the box. The tiny holes are sized to keep up with pump demand but not large enoUgh to allow fuel to flow out of the box on turns, stops etc.

Sounds like either your front holes have enlargened (for corroded away) or the rear/sides are clogged.
  • pointed down hill, fuel flows out of box without fill from sites/rear
  • in reverse, fuel momentum would push fuel to move forward, similar to being pointed downhill
  • the fuel gauge fluctuations before stall symptoms would be the float dropping as the fuel flows forward out of the box.

·
2001 SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
since my last post i have replaced the battery. It has been run flat to many times since this problem started I have a new fuel pump ordered. Not that it will fix the problem but the gas gage doesnt work on either pump and a gas gage is a handy thing to have.I replaced the ignition switch because i couldnt think of anything else that would kill voltage to the fuel pump. I replaced the TPS and the IAC and the mass air flow just because i had them already off the parts car. None of the above fixed the problem. The gas tank baffels was a possibility except for the fuel pump is loosing voltage not a lack of fuel to the pump.when i loose preasure all i have to do is turn the key off then back on and it returnes..Im going to replace the oil sensor tomorrow. Thats the P1189 code. Should have done that first but didnt have it off the parts car yet.Cant imagine that fixing the problem but who knowes. I ordered new motor mounts. Dont think thats the problem but it needs them and they were cheeep. Still looking for ideahs as to what has the ability to kill the fuel pump..The ECM is all i can come up with. Dont no how the security or the pass key3 works. Does either of those kill the fuel pump. Still looking for answers.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
.when i loose preasure all i have to do is turn the key off then back on and it returnes.
Still looking for ideahs as to what has the ability to kill the fuel pump.
For what it's worth, I have had a fuel pump die like that in a Chevy S10 Blazer. It would simply die while driving down the highway, then restart and run fine. New pump solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
'98 SLS
24 Posts
since my last post i have replaced the battery. It has been run flat to many times since this problem started I have a new fuel pump ordered. Not that it will fix the problem but the gas gage doesnt work on either pump and a gas gage is a handy thing to have.I replaced the ignition switch because i couldnt think of anything else that would kill voltage to the fuel pump. I replaced the TPS and the IAC and the mass air flow just because i had them already off the parts car. None of the above fixed the problem. The gas tank baffels was a possibility except for the fuel pump is loosing voltage not a lack of fuel to the pump.when i loose preasure all i have to do is turn the key off then back on and it returnes..Im going to replace the oil sensor tomorrow. Thats the P1189 code. Should have done that first but didnt have it off the parts car yet.Cant imagine that fixing the problem but who knowes. I ordered new motor mounts. Dont think thats the problem but it needs them and they were cheeep. Still looking for ideahs as to what has the ability to kill the fuel pump..The ECM is all i can come up with. Dont no how the security or the pass key3 works. Does either of those kill the fuel pump. Still looking for answers.
from '98 Seville GM Service Manual, page 8-987 "The VTD module and PCM operate in conjunction with each other to determine fuel enable. A password is exchanged between the VTD module and PCM when the VTD detects a valid key value over the class 2 serial data line. When the PCM receives a password the PCM validates the password against a password stored in memory and performs one of the following functions.
-if the password matches the PCM enables fuel delivery
-if the password does not match the PCM disables fuel delivery and sets a DTC"

pg 8-979 DTC B3055 Key Not Present
"The PASS-Key III Theft deterrent (VTD) Module performs an internal test to determine if a key is present every 300 milliseconds If the test determines that a key is not present the VTD module will indicate a no key present condition"

pg 8-968 "DTC B1327 Battery/Source Voltage Low
Circuit Description
Battery positive voltage (B+) is supplied to the PASS-Key III Theft Deterrent (VTD) Module at connector terminal A, CKT 440(ORN). The VTD module monitors this voltage to determine if it is within a valid operating range.
Conditions for setting the DTC
The battery positive voltage (B+) level falls below 9 volts for approximately 1.2 seconds or more.
Action taken when the DTC Sets
  • Stores a DTC B1327 in the VTD module memory.
  • The VTD module will not respond to any manual or memory inputs when the voltage is less than 9 volts.
  • No driver warning messae will be displayed for this DTC.
  • No other VTD module DTCs will not[sic] set while DTC B1327 is current."

May or may not be applicable to your model. It appears that there is a fuel connection with the VTD

21 - 26 of 26 Posts