Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
My 2001 Seville has been running fine but recently I got a message that said " service theft deterrent system" I checked with my little reader and got no codes found.
The car seems to be low on battery in the morning/slow to start. The theft deterrent service message no longer appears but now there seems to be gremlins with the audio control. Sometimes it works, sometimes I cannot control it. I still seem to be loosing battery overnight. Is my battery going bad or is there something else going on? I don't know what other info you may need..... maybe someone has had some experience like this as well.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Yeah its either your battery or something draining your battery. These cars have a heavy electrical demand and if the voltage drops all sorts of electrical gremlins will surface. How old is your current battery? Is it the original AcDelco? If so your probably due for another one. I would replace the battery and that should take care of your problems. Check out my thread for replacement batteries http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-direct-factory-replacement-battery-77-a.html I had that same message appear a few times before I replaced my battery. Does everything turn off when you remove the key and open the door?

·
Registered
STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ! Yes everything does turn off BUT once recently it seemed like the lights in the driver's side arm rest stayed on for some time which was weird. Everything else works fine!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
You don't need a code reader - it's all built into the car already. Go to Cadillac Technical Discussions, Technical Tips, and read the thread on pulling codes for your car. Fairly new thread.

If you live in an emissions state, do not clear codes within 2 - 3 weeks of an emissions test or the onboard system will give the test station a "not ready" indication and you'll have to come back after the system resets itself.

If your battery is "iffy", you may get some U- codes for low voltages. That will set theft system warnings. At least remove and clean the battery cable connectors - both ends of both cables.

·
Registered
STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swear on a stack of Bibles I checked that battery not two months ago.....I checked today and it was HOSED!~!!:mad::hmm:

I mean rust, splatters, white stuff.. pregnant on all four sides.....the whole shebang!
I flushed and repainted the compartment and got a new battery in VOILA!
Thanks to you I am ridin' tall in the saddle again!

poser though...the battery was an ac delco date coded 4 2002!! How could that be????

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
A 7 year old battery was way past living on borrowed time......entirely possible that the previous owner trashed the OEM unit, which was probably made in 2000....Look on the driver's door sticker to find the build date of your car.

Make sure that the battery vent piping is properly connected: it is absolutely necessary !!!, and that the ground cable is clean and tight at the floor pan bolt just behind the cross brace for the seat edge. Remove and wire brush the bolt and floor pan, tighten, and shoot it with Boeshield or WD-40.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Your interior lights can be adjusted for how long they stay on by using the slider under the headlight switch. Slide the slider to the left and your lights will only remain lit for a short time, slide it all the way to the right and they will remain lit for a good period. Find your sweet spot somewhere in between. This also controls how long your headlamps remain lit when you remove the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts