Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ear that holds the bottom of the spring is pressing onto the tire and ate a nice chunk of the tread after driving it for about a mile. I haven't mashed any potholes in this car yet so I'm fairly confident I haven't bent the front end.
has anyone else heard of this happening before? I'm assuming it's a bad strut but I've been wrong about this car before

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
The ear that holds the bottom of the spring is pressing onto the tire and ate a nice chunk of the tread after driving it for about a mile. I haven't mashed any potholes in this car yet so I'm fairly confident I haven't bent the front end.
has anyone else heard of this happening before? I'm assuming it's a bad strut but I've been wrong about this car before
=======================
if the wheels are the correct size and offset -
and the tires are the correct size -
and ALL of the strut mounting bolts are present and properly installed
I would be looking at a bent strut or broken spring -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Last time I saw that was on an older Pontiac. It WAS a broken spring.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't even think to check the spring
I sure hope it's that after seeing the price of some new shocks lol

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys will get a kick out of this, the spring perch on the strut rusted away and tore off

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,900 Posts
Given your location and the amounts of winter road chemicals used that's not surprising. You may not want to know what the rest of the underside of the car looks like.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Check your brake lines. I had to replace 3 of 4 on my car a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll get it on the lift and give the underside a good look over
from cramming my head under there I can see the front subframe is getting some heavy rust, rear isn't looking any better
at least there's plenty of red paint under there still, most the cars around me are completely gone underneath after 10 years of winter driving

1 - 8 of 8 Posts