Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MIL light will not come on at all! It should come on and go back out without any codes. It will not come on when you ground the lead from the computer connector or from the intermediate connector. So its either a wiring problem or a problem in the instrument panel circuitry. I have traced the wiring out to the intermediate connector which is mounted on the left fender well. I have continuity from the computer C1 connector PIN 32 to that point. I will pull the dash to get to the connector there and check that tomorrow. I have already pulled the IP and checked it for a bulb. The light is an LED which isn't accessable without taking apart the IP circuit board. In California this is an automatic smog failure. Any thoughts and assistance on this problem will be much appreciated !!!!!!! ?

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
bstig60,
You’re on the right track. From your diagnosis the problem appears to be a bad MIL lamp. As you already stated, the MIL lamp is an LED and the I.P cluster will have to be disassembled to gain access to it. GM service info will have you to replace the IP Cluster at this point. I say it might be worth a try to see if you can replace just the LED. Unfortunately, I’ve never attempted to replace just the LED, if you can replace just the led it would be a hugh cost savings for you. Let us know the outcome please. From my understanding the IP Cluster is expensive and will need to be programmed after a new one is installed.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears to be an open in the Ignition 1 circuit on the IP circuit board. I have continuity from Pin A8 which is the MIL control to the SES LED, and resistance through it, so that tells me the LED is good. However when reading Pin A3 I do not have continuity to the other side of the LED, which tells me there is an open somewhere in the circuitry. Is it possible to locate a layout of the circuitry on the IP circuit board? That is what lands go where, etc.>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,053 Posts
I doubt that would be easy to find. I suspect that in the case of a problem at the dealer, the instrument panel would be sent out for repair, much like the radio head units are. I think you should buy the unit on eBay and just swap them out. I believe the mileage is stored in the BCM and not the instrument panel.

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad! The one I have is probably repairable...... It turned out to be an open in the Ignition 1 battery side of the circuit which goes from Connector C2, Terminal A3 to the SES LED. The ground signal side was OK. I ordered the one on EBay. Hopefully, they will get it here quickly and it is in good condition. That's what happens when you get things "made in China". Its labeled that way on the circuit board.
Thanks, Guys!

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
Ya, too bad is right, you have it figured out. Is it not possible to ohm out the open ignition 1 circuit and solder in a by-pass hard wire? Do you have to send in your IP for a core? What are you going to do with the original one? $69 is a great price, good find chazglenn3!

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Find Indeed! But by the time I get it here it will be well over $100. Not that I am complaining as a new one is almost $800.
It probably is possible to do a bypass, but the problem is knowing "where else" the ignition 1 lead goes. It comes into the circuit and then dissappears into a "black hole" called "logic". Which means it goes to a chip. Without the diagram of the circuit board itself, it would be difficult at best to wire in a bypass. I thought about it and then thought I would probably screw something else up, so I decided to order the replacement. Hopefully, it will be here within a few days.
No core required! I will probably try and sell it off to someone who doesn't need to pass California Smog Inspections. Here, no matter how well the engine runs or how well it passes the actual Smog test, they automatically fail it if the "idiot light" doesn't work! Only in CA!

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
Thanks for the reply, the problem might even be that logic chip.
Your diagnosis makes sense to me! Good Work!

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
.... Here, no matter how well the engine runs or how well it passes the actual Smog test, they automatically fail it if the "idiot light" doesn't work! Only in CA!
No. Not only in CA.

Any large metro areas or regions in other states that are under Federal EPA mandated smog testing uses the Service Engine Soon message test at 'key-on'.

Good catch on your repair. If I was faced with bridging a PCB trace or replacing a surface mount LED, I would be forced to hire some younger eyes!!

·
Registered
Cadillac Seville 2002
35 Posts
bstig60,
You’re on the right track. From your diagnosis the problem appears to be a bad MIL lamp. As you already stated, the MIL lamp is an LED and the I.P cluster will have to be disassembled to gain access to it. GM service info will have you to replace the IP Cluster at this point. I say it might be worth a try to see if you can replace just the LED. Unfortunately, I’ve never attempted to replace just the LED, if you can replace just the led it would be a hugh cost savings for you. Let us know the outcome please. From my understanding the IP Cluster is expensive and will need to be programmed after a new one is installed.
Good Luck!
I know this is an old quote, but it popped up during a search while I was trying to find out how to remove the instrument cluster on my 02 Seville SLS. I already have a replacement cluster, but am hesitant to try to remove the one in the car until I know exactly what needs to be done to get it out. I can be ham fisted at times when I don't know what I'm doing.
Can anyone give me a step by step or possibly point me to a primer or link that will give me the instructions? I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Deke

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect your 02 SLS is similar to my 01. If so, you need to proceed as follows: locate and remove the fuse for the SRS system and/or disconnect the battery. The AC vents must be removed to access the screws which hold the dash cover (top) in place. Use 2 thin bladed knives or similar piece of flat metal to depress the catches on the vents top and bottom, then remove and set aside the vents. On the upper part of the vent hole is a screw which holds the padded dash top in place. Remove the screws, lift up the dash top very carefully and pull toward you to remove and set aside. This will expose the instrument panel. There are two screws on each side and two cables on each side that must be removed. Once done, pull the panel out and replace with the new one. The assembly procedure is the reverse. The AC vents will just snap back into their respective holes.
Personally, I subscribed to AllData and found the technical information very helpful. I also found a company in Concord, California that rebuilds the instrument panels. The name is Speed O Tach. I got mine done for about $90, far less than what a dealer would want to replace it.
Hope this helps..............
Bill

·
Registered
Cadillac Seville 2002
35 Posts
I suspect your 02 SLS is similar to my 01. If so, you need to proceed as follows: locate and remove the fuse for the SRS system and/or disconnect the battery. The AC vents must be removed to access the screws which hold the dash cover (top) in place. Use 2 thin bladed knives or similar piece of flat metal to depress the catches on the vents top and bottom, then remove and set aside the vents. On the upper part of the vent hole is a screw which holds the padded dash top in place. Remove the screws, lift up the dash top very carefully and pull toward you to remove and set aside. This will expose the instrument panel. There are two screws on each side and two cables on each side that must be removed. Once done, pull the panel out and replace with the new one. The assembly procedure is the reverse. The AC vents will just snap back into their respective holes.
Personally, I subscribed to AllData and found the technical information very helpful. I also found a company in Concord, California that rebuilds the instrument panels. The name is Speed O Tach. I got mine done for about $90, far less than what a dealer would want to replace it.
Hope this helps..............
Bill
Thank you Bill. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about running into some surprises that might make me wish I'd never started the job.
Deke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts