Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the rear struts a pain to replace? I've done fronts, but never backs. Is the strut mount in the trunk somewhere?

I'm also getting "no amp data" and nothing from the radio except for the time. Nothing when pressing the power button. I've read some threads about the amp but it sounds like it's a pain to get the rear seat back out. Anyone have tips? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Shocks in the rear, not struts. Very easy to replace. 2 bolts at the bottom, one nut on top. You have to hold the shaft still with an alen wrench or Torx bit, it can be a pain in some cases. I would suggest just replacing the mount as well. Then there's just 2 bolts up top to deal with.

The air line has a simple quick disconnect. Going with MA822'S I assume?

Cant help with the radio issue. Sorry.

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MC. Is the top nut exposed in the wheel well or hidden somewhere in the trunk?

----------

MoistCabbage said:
Shocks in the rear, not struts. Very easy to replace. 2 bolts at the bottom, one nut on top. You have to hold the shaft still with an alen wrench or Torx bit, it can be a pain in some cases. I would suggest just replacing the mount as well. Then there's just 2 bolts up top to deal with. The air line has a simple quick disconnect. Going with MA822'S I assume? Cant help with the radio issue. Sorry.
Ma822? I was just going to find a good one in the yard. This one thuds and I can tell its shot. Sounds like it would be helpful to have a couple Gus to remove the shock. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Don't waste your time and money on used shocks. In all likelihood they're well worn or close to it.

Monroe MA822'S are high quality direct replacements. You can get the pair for ~$60, shipped.

The nuts/mounts are behind the trunk lining on either side.

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MoistCabbage said:
Don't waste your time and money on used shocks. In all likelihood they're well worn or close to it. Monroe MA822'S are high quality direct replacements. You can get the pair for ~$60, shipped. The nuts/mounts are behind the trunk lining on either side.
Oh, okay. I was thinking they'd be much more expensive. They'll plug into the leveling system too?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Re: 2001 Rear struts and Bose amp

This one is an STS but I also have a base model Deville that has both rears shot
==================
both cars use the same shocks - if you go non-electronic in the STS -
Monroe MA822 - around $65 - for the PAIR - with free shipping -
on amazon.com

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
basscatt said:
================== both cars use the same shocks - if you go non-electronic in the STS - Monroe MA822 - around $65 - for the PAIR - with free shipping - on amazon.com
Will the non electro bring messages, codes or make the car sit funny?

Just pulled the amp. A 19mm and a pry bar or clip puller will be your friend.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Sit funny? No. They will throw codes. The fix is a $1.19 pack of 4.7K ohm resistors from RadioShack. Search f45 resistor trick, it's been discussed endlessly.

And the passive shocks will ride and handle better than worn active ones.

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it! Will grab those up tomorrow. Thanks fellas for always replying. Just came across an 01, loaded STS with 113k. It's super clean both inside and out. It just needed the amp and those rear struts. MAYBE a good set of pads and rotors soon. No check lights or dash messages. BUT, it's pearl white and I'm thinking about painting it black. Lots of PW but not a lot of black STSs.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,507 Posts

To repaint that car correctly will cost you about $8500. Rattle cans are cheaper.

Leave it white.

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure who your painter is, but I could probably push the guys at around 2- 2.5k- proper prep, paint, and jams included. I have a black STS in my driveway and was thinking about maybe swapping the parts and finishing it black. We'll see, I'm just glad I got this dang radio working :)

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
For a basic Macco quality job, maybe. Doing it the right way, at a good shop, as good or better than factory finish, $8,500 is a good starting point.

----------

~$2,500 will get you a very nice wrap. Might be something to think about.

·
19,286 Posts

For a basic Macco quality job, maybe. Doing it the right way, at a good shop, as good or better than factory finish, $8,500 is a good starting point.

----------

===========================
YA BABY - CAMO - :stirpot:

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Honestly basecatt, have some class!!!

Chrome is much more tasteful.

:histeric:

·
19,286 Posts

Honestly basecatt, have some class!!!

Chrome is much more tasteful.

:histeric:
========================
I never heard of a chrome wrap - :hmm:

isn't technology wonderful - :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Monroe struts in today. These struts are going to work with the leveling system correct? If I don't use the resistors, will the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Yes, the MA822s work with the ELC system.

Shocks have nothing to do with emissions, the CEL won't come on. You will however get the speed limited to 90 and possibly service stability messages.

·
Registered
2001 STS
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MoistCabbage said:
Yes, the MA822s work with the ELC system. Shocks have nothing to do with emissions, the CEL won't come on. You will however get the speed limited to 90 and possibly service stability messages.
Thank you sir! The ohm resistors have to be ordered from the radio shack website right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts