Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new thread to document the conversion of my 2001 Catera. As tasks are completed I will try to keep all the documentation including photographs and descriptions up to date so that anyone else attempting this can reference what we did.

So far we have removed the Engine and Transmission out of the Catera and I have purchased Jason Haines' conversion kit from Lingenfelter. I believe we should have most the parts except for the exhaust manifolds. Jason could not locate them. If anyone knows of some manifolds, I would be interested in purchasing them. Or if anyone knows of other factory manifolds that may work for this application I would be interested in what you may know.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I believe we should have most the parts except for the exhaust manifolds. Jason could not locate them. If anyone knows of some manifolds, I would be interested in purchasing them. Or if anyone knows of other factory manifolds that may work for this application I would be interested in what you may know.
Since only Opel and Lingenfelter ever stuffed an LS1 into an Omega/Catera chances are slim of finding an off the shelf header for this application. Look in Warez's or MyOpel's V8 swap threads for pictures of the factory manifolds. Maybe you can find a Chevy or other GM part that you can modify. A good race shop might know someone who could fabricate some pipes for you. The link will take you to my Catera V album. This is the Catera that John Lingenfelter built.

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v

Your welcomed to peruse my other albums for ideas. One is to check the Omega forums in Europe. They used to race Omegas in V8 Star, BTCC and DTM. Granted they were tube chassis racecars and their designers didn't have to cope with real world clearance issues, there must be people with the skill to build a set of pipes you can use. Remember, England is the home of Lotus, Lola, Jaguar, Reynard, Williams, McLaren, Tyrell, and many more.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the Europrean GM SI2K dealer service database DVD. It has a bunch of info on the V8 Omega. PM me your mailing address and I can mail you a copy.

Did you also get the V8 front sub-frame? If not, it will not be too difficult to modify the V6 sub-frame.

The V8 manifolds are very unique, particularly the squished rear drivers side primary that clears the steering box. This engine bay is very narrow as it was only intended to fit 4-cylinder engines and a very narrow 54-degree V6 that was primarily intended for FWD applications. Nothing on the aftermarket will work without serious modification.

·
Registered
Cadillac
146 Posts
One option is to try factory ls1 manifolds or you can get some c6 manifolds and try those. They will bolt up and they hug the block, which is what you will probably want since your not gonna have alot of clearance along the sides of the engine. If you can track down some LS7 manifolds that would be even better as there are guys with regular c6 corvettes swapping to ls7 manifolds and gaining power. So that is one option for you.

Now that i think of it the ls1 manifolds that were on the fbodies had the exhaust exit more toward the rear of the engine while the corvette manifolds shot it straight down, so that thought may come into play when your figureing out how to hook the h pipe up to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts