Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillace Eldorado ETC
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 01 Eldorado ETC, it has the full bose system but is still lacking in the deep range. Just wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way to get a bigger/better sub in the car

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
There is a Tone button on your BOSE HU, press that until you see BASS then use the Level + button underneath to increase the bass level.
I have the exact same sound system in my car and with the bass at max I bottom out the rear speakers at relatively low volume. I don't know how much more bass you want.
Listen this (starting from 0:30), the phone mic is crap, but at that point my rear speakers were almost rattling.
For your reference, the song is Say It Right by our Canadian singer Nelly Furtado. The laptop is connected to the HU trough the AUX input (you can see the wire going towards the HU, and the volume is little over the normal voice level).

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
7 Posts
All you have to do is get a Line output Converter. It has 4 speaker wires which you splice into your rear deck speakers and on the other end it has a set of RCA Jacks For a Amp/Subwoofer. If you want to do it right and still keep the stock head unit which i did at first (eventually bought the whole wiring kit and added a dvd/navigation unit) Just run a power wire w/a Fuse/Ground Wire and you are all set. It keeps the stock Bose and just adds rca's and power for a amp sub set up its super easy took me about a half hour to hook the converter subs amp and wires. Never had a issue.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,498 Posts
I have the exact same sound system in my car and with the bass at max I bottom out the rear speakers at relatively low volume.
Which is exactly why the Bose was replaced in my STS, and will eventually get ripped out of my CTS.

Just do what the above mentioned and you'll be good to go, real easy, real cheap. And since your amp is getting the signal from your rear speakers the bass control on the HU will control your subwoofers response as well. I ended up putting bass blockers on my rear 6x9's in my old 95 STS so I could still have the bass turned up for the sub with the volume up too, that way the speakers wouldn't bottom out.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
13 Posts
Answer me this. In order to run an added amp, you must have main power, ground, and a trigger power. Most stereos have an antenna out or a keyed power in. This stereo system works until you shut off the key and open the door. I've checked all the wires at the amp and the CD changer. nothing. I've got a wiring schematic for the stereo which only shows one power in. Is the on/off controlled by one of the serial data cables going in? And if so, how are you guys triggering the amp on?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,498 Posts
Stick your remote wire into the cold side of the Ignition fuse under the rear seat, just stick the fuse in on top of it. Works great.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
13 Posts
I did for the moment. But that only gives me sub when ignition is on. I want it to work correctly, when the stereo is on. I can't even find an Acc fuse in the rear fuse box. I would rather not have to fish wires up to the front if I don't need to.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Why don't you use your BOSE amps power signal, the car already has control for that. Each speaker has 4 wires, 2 are sound and 2 are power. That power is ON as long as the sound system is ON (sound system on doesn't mean HU is on, the sound system is on even when the HU is OFF, still does the chimes if you pay attention).
Know your BOSE system and then say is not good.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,498 Posts
Why don't you use your BOSE amps power signal, the car already has control for that. Each speaker has 4 wires, 2 are sound and 2 are power. That power is ON as long as the sound system is ON (sound system on doesn't mean HU is on, the sound system is on even when the HU is OFF, still does the chimes if you pay attention).
Know your BOSE system and then say is not good.
I don't need to know how it works to know what replaced it sounds better, my ears made that decision for me.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
13 Posts
I tryed to find a positive trigger wire at the amp. I found full time positive in, ground, audio in, cell phone garbage, and audio out. I could find no trigger positive in to the amp. Not when checking it at the amp. Not when looking at wiring schematics. What wire specifically are you talking about, and what spot in which connector is it? Also What does HU mean and what does it do?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Cmbrsu,

Each speaker has its OWN amplifier. The two front (door) speakers are mounted in a plastic enclosure and the amplifiers are inside the enclosure.
The two rear speakers are mounted on the rear shelf and the back of the speakers can be seen from underneath - inside the trunk. The amplifier is that bulky thing attached to the back of the speakers.
4 wires run to EACH speaker:
2 are audio (various colors depending on the speaker)
2 power for the amplifier (BLACK = 0V DC and RED=12V DC)

Use the red and black wire to control a relay that power your amplifier. If your AMP has a remote wire then if the signal is positive use the red wire, if the signal is referenced to the ground then use the red wire to control a relay that provides ground to your AMP remote wire. Can't be simpler than that.

I mentioned the amps are powered EVEN if the HU is off because you can still have sounds with the HU off. You can hear chimes or if you have the cell phone "crap" (to quote you) then you can hear the phone conversation. The power to the amps is controlled by the RIM (if you don't know what is that then maybe you are way over your head in this), and the RIM does it based on the data line messages. As long as you are in your car the amps are powered, the power to the amps is applied in the moment you unlock the doors. You have 2 separate relays controlling the power to the amplifiers, one relay controls the left amplifiers and one controls the right amplifiers.
In a Cadillac you can't just start modifying stuff unless you have solid electronics background (technician may not qualify as good background), these cars are not simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts