Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having this problem? Started as little white spots on the paint then began creeping out into large spots and then the paint started coming off in chunks (see pictures). Is this just sun damage or do any of you see an additional problem here?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
956 Posts
Rusting from underneath and the paint layer delaminated with temperature differential (hot roof, cold interior).

Looks water penetrated at the window/body interface and started rust there. Once rust began, thus created a channel where more water could wick up higher.

The white spots are from the clear coat starting to delaminate from the paint layer before the paint gave way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've never seen a car roof do this. Not common in Utah, but car originated in Florida. Guess it's time to strip and repaint.

Rusting from underneath and the paint layer delaminated with temperature differential (hot roof, cold interior).

Looks water penetrated at the window/body interface and started rust there. Once rust began, thus created a channel where more water could wick up higher.

The white spots are from the clear coat starting to delaminate from the paint layer before the paint gave way.

Thanks. I've never seen a car roof do this. Not common in Utah, but car originated in Florida. Guess it's time to strip and repaint.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
Very strange paint thickness and odd patterns of lines around the roof perimeter. Did the car ever have an aftermarket fabric roof cover ?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,816 Posts
Jim's got a point; that 'paint' looks awful thick...like Bondo.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
Bondfo was my first thought as well. That does not look like any chipping paint I've ever seen.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
I agree - that looks like bondo - WAY too thick to be just paint -

I bet it was hail-damaged -
replaced the hood and trunk - puttied up the roof -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts