Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

2001 ESC
Discussion Starter #22
It's going back to the shop... again to try and find answers. I'll keep Y'all informed... and thanks for all attempted help! 馃

Registered
I would have the tech measure the ACTUAL voltages and not rely on the DIC. Measure multiple locations and compare. Battery post, alt post, fuse box power rail, and various other spots to compare. Do it with no load and loaded circuits. I remember a recent post ( https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/1999-deville-flickering-lights.1086594/ ) where there was voltage loss to the DIC causing flickering lights and low DIC readings, and it was found to be in the firewall connection; a corroded connection. Since the alternator regulates to its own internal voltage right at the terminal, it cannot account for corrosion and high resistance wires/connections, so there is voltage drop in the system, but the alternator terminal has the 鈥榗orrect鈥 voltage. Some strategic voltage measuring should narrow this down.
Obviously there cannot be any belt slippage allowed.....

2001 ESC
Discussion Starter #24
I would have the tech measure the ACTUAL voltages and not rely on the DIC. Measure multiple locations and compare. Battery post, alt post, fuse box power rail, and various other spots to compare. Do it with no load and loaded circuits. I remember a recent post ( https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/1999-deville-flickering-lights.1086594/ ) where there was voltage loss to the DIC causing flickering lights and low DIC readings, and it was found to be in the firewall connection; a corroded connection. Since the alternator regulates to its own internal voltage right at the terminal, it cannot account for corrosion and high resistance wires/connections, so there is voltage drop in the system, but the alternator terminal has the 鈥榗orrect鈥 voltage. Some strategic voltage measuring should narrow this down.
Obviously there cannot be any belt slippage allowed.....
Thanks. The belt slippage disappears after about 10 min of starting and remains gone until cooled down. I can restart all day and no squeal unless it has sat for quite a while. Even after slippage has stopped the alt issue remains. I will talk to my tech and tell him of these posts!

2001 ESC
Discussion Starter #25
Just to make sure Y'all don't think I'm lazy, the reason I don't attempt these suggestions myself is it's tough to get at the engine compartment from another wheeled vehicle;-)) (a wheelchair)

Registered
Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. Some of these vehicles suffer incorrect DIC voltage readouts. My Deville often reads below 12.5V at DIC with the engine running but the multimeter at the battery disagrees, it's always above 13.8V. So I just simply stopped worrying about it. Seville didn't have the same issue.

Registered
Be sure to check the connection points. Corrosion builds up over time and can resist flow. With scraper, wet/dry sand paper, disassemble and clean the battery connecting point, especially the bolt. Repeat the ground, alternator etc

(Just went through this on my 92 Fleetwood and raised the voltage from 12.6 to 13.6+)

2001 ESC
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Y'all, The DIC reads a half volt low. I've been watching the DIC for three weeks now and the charging system SEEMS to be ok! I'll stop worrying about it now. The belt noise appears to be the AC pulley. The ac is cooling well and the screeching stops after about ten mins. I'll live with it till the damn thing takes a crap. I'm tired of worrying! Thanks for all the input

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
7 Participants
Ldoguy