Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville DTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Per the title I have a 2001 Deville DTS with night vision. Recently, I noticed the when I turn it on I only see a white screen with no infrared image. The glass lens cover is not cracked. Any ideas why I don't see the infrared image anymore? Thanks much. Bud

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, when the Night Vision system first starts up do you see the "Night Vision" logo pop up clearly on the screen? If the answer is no, then you likely have a problem in the controller or the projector, and likely not the camera.

If the answer is yes, then the projector is good (and probably the controller). So, then it's stupid question time: Did your left knee slide the contrast adjustment lever accidentally? If you're lucky, it did. Item 2 in the "if you're lucky" list -- a bit of dust got into that slider and your test will dislodge it.

If this doesn't do it, you'll need to do some more sleuthing. Please report back here in any case. Good luck.

p.s. You thought it important to mention that the camera glass is not cracked. I have two comments about this. First, a cracked glass will not kill the system. That glass is just IR passive glass with a ring of defogger wire encircling it. If you had cracked the glass your camera would have worked fine until enough rain water worked its way in and mucked up the image.

Second, do you have the wire screen in the grille that protects the camera from rock strikes? My '01 DTS' VIN is about 100 shy of when they started to include this screen in regular production, but late enough to have the grille with the tab and screw receiver to install that screen. Cadillac said that I didn't deserve to get the part for free. They wanted $150, so I didn't get it. A year later I had a rock strike and asked my insurance to pay for the repair. Cadillac decided that they should pay the $1400 for the new camera and that my insurance company should pay the $51 for the screen that I had never bought. My tale of woe aside, if you don't have this screen already, you should get it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts