Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville DTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Deville DTS 26,000 on a rebuilt engine. Low oil pressure light comes
on after engine is warm at idle. I had a shop test the pressure with a mechanical oil
pressure gauge and has less than 10psi at warm idle. Engine oil pressure increases
to normal when engine RPMs are raised. They believe it to be worn internal engine
components like oil pump or excessive engine bearing clearances, and recommend
changing oil with a higher viscosity and possibly adding a supplement. I will change
the oil, but are there any suggestions to what may be the cause other than what
they believe to be the problem.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: 2001 Cadlac Deville DTS low oil pressure.

Welcome :wave:

GM spec's for the Northstar oil pressure at idle is only 5 psi if I remember correctly, though most run much higher. Bottom line is you are well above factory minimum.

Northstar oil pumps and bearing failures are almost unheard of.

99 out of 100 times, a low oil pressure warning is due to a bad EOP switch.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Yep ^^^^

Run the recommended 5W-30 or, if in a really temperate climate (where are you??) run 10W-30, oil of whatever brand and type floats your boat and change the oil pressure sending switch. AC Delco part, 45 minutes at a Mom&Pop shop. Total, $80.

Northstars do NOT need "oil additives". (affectionately referred to as "snake oils".)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live outside of Kansas City, Missouri. The shop told me that 10 psi at idle was to low recommended 10w-30 or 5w-30 and to sell the car, for it would only be a temporary fix. Is 10 psi a idle ok and if so just replace the oil pressure sending switch.

Thank You

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
It is hard to comprehend the sheer volume of hearsay, misinformation, rumor, speculation and misquotes that people use to defend their preconceived engine oil theories.

All one need do is to search through refiner/blender spec sheets, engine manufacturers specs (and the owner's manual), and many aftermarket parts suppliers for proper recommendation.

Most boutique engine oils and lubricants are just fine - but necessary ??? NO. Longer life - NO. More power - NO. Bragging rights - MAYBE.

This was the cat's meow when I was building Ford flatheads ................ straight 30 (there was no "SAE 30") - (now you know what the Kendall 2-fingered fist means) - ANY discussion of 2,000 or 3,000 mile oil/filter changes belongs in the Dark Ages.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I should just replace the oil pressure sending switch?

Thank you for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts