Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem as of late. My car will not start in the mornings. This is not a daily problem, but the last couple of weeks it has happened about 4 times. I've been told that it was my security system, key chip, possibly starter. The lights on the dash come on but nothing else happens when I turn the key. I wait a little while and it does start, finally.

This I had my struts worked on. It has been an ongoing problem, but that is solved after much time and money. Long story. At that time I had them check the starting problem, but they said that they couldn't duplicate it and no code showed up.

The service steering system light is on and I thought this was due to the struts. I will be happy to supply more information to help make it easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
As stated above, it definetly sounds like a passkey issue. My older sister's alero had the same problem, sercurity system wouldn't let you start it, wait ten minutes, try again. Theres a couple things thatll trip up the security system. The chip in the key might be damaged or not functioning. The key could be bent. Or the most expensive, the key cylinder in the steering column is shot. Either way the car isn't recognizing your key for some reason. Do you have alot of keys (extra weight) on the key ring? That usually will destroy the key cylinder in the steering column.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, thanks for the two replies. Yikes, I read your post and cringed. I probably do have more keys on my key ring than I should. My husband is always asking me why do I need so many keys on my key ring.

I mentioned that I also have the service steering system light. Is it possible that I have damaged the key cylinder? I don't have a clue what that is, but will do a search on it. I had my struts replaced and thought that dummy light was for that and it was not cleared. Wouldn't a faulty key cylinder send a code?

Any adviced is greatly appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts