Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 deville
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 2001 deville and its been giving me grief lately. My trunk will randomly pop open while i am driving down the road. i check and double check it is closed, but i geuss a module or something is opening it? any info on how to fix this please let me know. Also are any parts interchangeable between 1999 and 2001 devilles? i need a window regulator and a catalytic converter.. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Battery voltage got too low

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
Re: 2001 deville ?s

Battery voltage got too low
-----------------------------------:yeah:
that is probably the most common cause -
does the gas door also pop open?

----------------
if you need a battery -
the Walmart MAXX-79 is what I recommend -

------------------
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As for the regulator ebay or rockauto.. or your local junkyard the Catalytic buy it at your local autozone due to different smog laws in different states

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Unless you're buying bulbs, fluids, or cleaning products, stay far, FAR away from AutoZone. Their parts are absolute GARBAGE.

Walker and Eastern make good converters.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I agree on autzone bit most people dkny like to goto other stores I prefer kragen. Also I'm nkt from the east coast so looks like u have a better idea of what stores to goto:/

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts

What window is in need of the part? I have an 04 DTS I'm parting.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts

Unless you're buying bulbs, fluids, or cleaning products, stay far, FAR away from AutoZone. Their parts are absolute GARBAGE.
AMEN brother! :worship:

P.S.
I edited your title to be a bit more descriptive.

·
Registered
2001 deville
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is only the trunk door that pops open not the feul door. I checked the volts in the car a split second after it popped open and it read 14.6. I drove the car today same amount and it never popped. Also, would a clogged catalytic converter cause a misfire?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
It is only the trunk door that pops open not the feul door. I checked the volts in the car a split second after it popped open and it read 14.6. I drove the car today same amount and it never popped. Also, would a clogged catalytic converter cause a misfire?
------------------------
would a clogged catalytic converter cause a misfire?
a clogged cat would cause a lack of power -

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm thinking the voltage regulator is going out in the alt

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The trunk release should be disabled while the car is in gear. My guess would be that it's a mechanical problem with the latch, not an electrical one.

----------

01deville23 said:
It is only the trunk door that pops open not the feul door. I checked the volts in the car a split second after it popped open and it read 14.6.
FWIW, it doesn't have to be both. And that's your charging voltage, not your battery voltage.

S

·
0 Posts
hey guys i have a 2001 deville and its been giving me grief lately. My trunk will randomly pop open while i am driving down the road. i check and double check it is closed, but i geuss a module or something is opening it? any info on how to fix this please let me know. Also are any parts interchangeable between 1999 and 2001 devilles? i need a window regulator and a catalytic converter.. thanks for any help.
Lmao that's funny

·
2001 DHS
2001 Deville DHS
11 Posts
So what was the solution for you my guy? I have exact same issue. Changed the battery and all, even removed trunk relay fuse so i cant push a button anywhere including the fob key AND the valet mode is turned on. trunk still opens randomly, sometimes once and sometimes multiple times in one trip. trunk is easily closed with hardly any force so i dont think its a mechanical issue. Im stumped and taking it to a shop soon.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Check the wiring harness inside the ribbed cover where it exits the left trunk hinge bracket and heads toward the fenderwell. Those wires bend, chafe, and either short out or break.

Plastic cover over the trunk hinge arm bracket.

·
2001 DHS
2001 Deville DHS
11 Posts
Check the wiring harness inside the ribbed cover where it exits the left trunk hinge bracket and heads toward the fenderwell. Those wires bend, chafe, and either short out or break.

Plastic cover over the trunk hinge arm bracket.
Thanks ill try it later after work

·
2001 DHS
2001 Deville DHS
11 Posts
Looks like the mechanism itself according to my shop has some play some where “jiggling” and causing it to open. 500 from the dealer and thier discontinued and out of stock so looking for yards or a shop willing to maybe fix/repair the original part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check to Wiring Harness near the Trunk Hinge routing area Usually in a Plastic Loom (Frayed Wire maybe Contacting Grounding Surface). I had similar issue in 2001 Cadillac Seville STS.

·
2001 DHS
2001 Deville DHS
11 Posts
Ok so to close my issue up. My trunk assembly peice had a very loose latch(no stiffness/tightness in the mechanism) so it turned out to be purely mechanical. Found another dhs oem trunk peice and was able to replace easily. Trunk opening is GONE!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts