Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has to be posted in a thread somewhere, but I have searched and haven't found the answer so....

The drivers tail light on my 01 is out - by tail light I mean the lights that go up and down the entire assembly. Do I need to purchase a whole new tail light assembly or is there a bulb or fuse I can change.

I went to shucks to buy a light and they gave me the normal tail light bulb, when I took the light assembly completely apart I realized there was no where to insert it....Please Help!!!

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Re: 2001 Cadillac DeVille Tail Lights

No individual light bulbs in a 2000 to 2004 Deville tailight, they are all LEDs of some kind and if they go out you need a whole new light assembly.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts

I'm surprised there are still people who don't know the 2000-05 Deville doesn't have normal incadescent bulbs. The LED tail-lights are one of the coolest things about that car and it's plain as day when you look at them they are completely different light pattern than incandescents.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
30 Posts

You will want to obtain a wiring schematic and also check out the 'hazard/turn signal module' under the dash closeout panel on driver side.

If only one or two LEDs failed to light, I would suspect the tail light assembly; which, as Mark C, et al, pointed out, is not a user-repairable unit and must be replaced as a unit.

HOWEVER, it sounds more like the module in your case (or, less likely but possible, a wire harness / connector issue). The solution is to (1) check the wiring, making sure that the voltage is actually reaching the tail light; then (2) have the module checked (or replaced with a known-good unit) before investing $350 - $1,000 (depends on source) in a replacement tail light assembly.

General Motors may be less than forthcoming about how to get at / replace said tail light BTW. Even Chilton and Haynes completely omit it from their DeVille "shop manuals" (28541 and 38032, respectively) which I found rather interesting after exploring my DeVille trunk and not finding any obvious way to get to the tail light assemblies. I'll have to tear out some carpet this coming summer and see what the rest of the story is. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,111 Posts
ttocsmij, you might check the thread date before responding. This one is almost 7 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts