Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say I think I've read every thread on this Forum for stalls and low idles for 2000+ Cadillac Devilles. I still can't find the answer to the problem of my car! :banghead:

Last year was the only year i've had problems with my 2001 Deville base model. Just before putting it away for the severe winters I have in my city the car started to have the low idling problem on start up. Like most people the car wouldnt stay on unless my foot was on the gas pedal, when taken off....dies!

I had the car scanned for codes before i knew i could do them myself through a local mechanic. I was told i should change my faulty o2 sensors so i did. In the process i had my spark plugs changed for maintenance sake. I made sure to use the right spark plugs

After pulling the car out of storage for 7 months the car started with no problem. I drove it for a week and the low idling and stall came back. I read the thread on changing the plenum and changed it hoping the car just had a bad vacuum seal because of it. I then found out the plenum wasn't ripped. :crying:

I cleaned the throttle body and took out the IAC. I did not clean the IAC because i was worried to break the "pindle" on it so i just gently brushed off some of the dirt accumulated to it.

I pulled off the following codes today....I need help!

IPC B1004
IPM B1004
IRC U1016
PCM P0106
PCM P0463
PCM P0506

My next step is to change the MAP sensor and clean the IAC with carb cleaner.
Has anyone change the MAP sensor and this worked for them with this idling problem? i would hate to buy a new MAP sensor and IAC and not have my car run.

This car is turning out to be a big money pit....if this doesnt work do i look the change the fuel pump? or see how much i can get it for at the stealership for a new vehicle.

calling on Ranger or Sub....or anyone!!! HELP!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Next time, post the code definitions and whether they are Current or History.

Check the MAP (code P0106) electrical connector, remove the unit and make sure the rubber tip is not blocked with snot. You'll need to remove the throttle cable bracket to remove the MAP.

Carefully clean the IAC "top hat" - use a hobby pipe cleaner saturated with throttlebody cleaner to swab out the IAC bore.

The P0463 - fuel level sensor circuit - is not an idle problem, but you might be able to clear it up by using a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON with your next fuel fill.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
No reason to replace the IAC valve. IF following Subs advice you don't find a problem with the MAP sensor, then I'd replace it based on the DTC.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So cleaned the IAC and changed the MAP sensor but still the same problem. I checked the codes again but no PCM codes listed. I don't know if I cleared them previously and they didn't return :hmm:

I'm not sure what else to do?

Please help!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Have you gone through the entire intake duct system piping - from the MAF to the TB ??? ANY cut, tear, or loose clamp in that rubber ducting at or after the MAF will really screw up the idle characteristics.

..............and I still wanna see the P code definitions.......:lildevil:

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PCM P0102 Current
PCM P0621 History

These are the latest codes I pulled off the car. The car idles very low at 450rpm since ive changed the MAP sensor and cleaned the IAC. The car does start up and stays on now, but just at a really low rpm. I need to have my foot on the gas pedal just long enough for the aux lights to come on and shut off when I start the car.

The car fluctuates between 450 and 550 rpm at park. The battery voltage is at 12.1 volts at idle.

I took the car for a spin and at stop signs it sounds like its going to die. I'm constantly watching the rpm so i doesnt drop below 300 rpm.

I checked for leaks throughout the intake to the TB and there are no leaks to be found.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2003 DTS
46 Posts
I was having similar problems earlier this year. I would have to hold my foot on the gas pedal to keep the car running. I also had the low battery voltage when i 1st started the car. I knew the plenum was good because i replaced it in july. i was getting the P0506 - Idle Speed Low & P0507 - Idle Speed High codes as well as a map sensor code. so 1st i cleaned the maf sensor & replaced the map sensor as well as cleaned the throttle body. cleaned the iac with electric parts cleaner as well. it worked fine for a week or 2. then i cleaned it with carb cleaner & it worked fine for another 3 weeks. Really didn't want to spend the $200 on the IAC but i had to & it's ran like a new caddy ever since. Come to fine out that the little plunger thing can stop working & thats what happened to mine.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DHS (RIP) 2005 Cadillac Escalade
15 Posts
Hey Numbamane!!
Just read your post and your problem sounds alot like min and I was looking for some help.

Was your Check Engine light on prior to replacing the IAC??

If so, when you replaced the IAC did it erase your codes??

How has your progress and Cadi been runnig since??

·
Registered
2003 DTS
46 Posts
@RedG49 It would come every now & then. The IAC valve is pretty easy to replace. I purchased one from amazon.com Ever since i replaced it my baby has been running good. I checked & cleared all of the codes after i replaced it. Whenever it warms up a bit here I'm going to reinforce my rear window regulators with the cotter pin & epoxy method. I did the front windows last year & they have been working great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts