Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang:

I tried to search my issue but found nothing. Hopefully, someone can help.

My mom has a 2001 DeVille that I've been using the past month or so. Here's what's been happening:

1. I start the car and the dashboard does not light up. I can't see the speedo or anything else. Just the various indicator lights under the dash keep flashing.

2. When I put the car in gear the emergency brake does not release. I have to do it by hand.

3. I pull away and drive for a while and then sometimes out of nowhere the dash will come on and start to function. Also, out of nowhere while driving, I'll hear the emergency brake trying to release even though it already is.

4. The past few days after I park the car and about 10 minutes the alarm (horn) will start to go off for no apparent reason.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
On the dash lights issue... they automatically dim and go bright depending on the outside light switching between bright and dim takes a little while. If this bothers you turn off the twilight sentinel on the panel just left of the steering wheel. You could also turn up the intensity of the lights when in night or dark mode with the knob on the same panel.

On the alarm issue... until you can figure that one out. The alarm is only armed when you lock the doors with the remote. Lock them manually and see if that helps. If you are carry your keys in your pocket... I have on occasion accidentally pressed the red panic button on the remote by accident while carry my keys in my pocket... this will set off the alarm.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've heard that a low voltage can cause lots of electronic gremlins.(if I heated correctly.) You may check the battery voltage. You need to use a multimeter if your DIC is not working properly. Nomal car should stay above 13 volts when engine is turned on. The voltage should not go below 10.8 volts.

Edit #1: A bad ground or a bad battery connection could also cause the electronic gremlins. You can try clearing the corrosions around the battery cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts