Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2001 Deville base
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my check coolant level keep coming on? I added antifreeze to the correct level... cars not overheating.. but every time I crank it it says check coolant level...

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
698 Posts
The float in the bottle is stuck, you can take the bottle out and try swishing some hot soapy water in there, sometimes that will free up the float, or you can buy a new bottle, they're on amazon for cheap and easy to change. btw the float itself is not replaceable.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,857 Posts
there are actually TWO parts to the sensor -
built into the tank is a donut shaped magnetic float -
the green thing in this pic -

SOMETIMES that float - or the center post that the float rides on - gets all crudded up - and sticks -

and SOMETIMES this CAN be cleaned using various soaps - solvents - cleaners - etc -
and shaking the crap out of it -

on other occasions - the sensor itself has failed -
this is the part that the blue harness plugs onto - in the pic -

it was ALWAYS reported that this sensor is NOT replaceable -

actually - the coolant level sensor IS replaceable -

remove the surge tank -
unplug the harness -
and simply pull the sensor straight down -
it is a tight - friction fit -
the replacement part is STANDARD FLS16 - $10.25 - including shipping -
ROCKAUTO.COM

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
529 Posts
Quick test... tap on the side of the reservior near the float and see if the light goes off. If it does, then the float is the issue. See above comments for cleaning.

·
2001 Deville base
33 Posts
I had the same experience with my 2001 Deville. It was the coolant level sensor that was bad. I bought one from Ebay for $10 or so--aftermarket. At first it still read check coolant level. Then it went out. Never came back. If you put a paper clip across the car's current sensor connections, and the Check Coolant Level message goes off, then you know it's the sensor.

Yes, and if you test it with a paper clip across the terminals, and the message vanishes, you know it's the sensor. My replacement wasn't a tight fit, but in time it apparently was "fused" and the lights went off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts