Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired low mileage 2001 DeVille (Base) in pretty much mint appearance etc. From an estate, limited maint records but did find a history at a Midas shop that did regular oil changes.

I have driven the car sedately for about 700 miles and consumed 1 qt of oil so far. From what I have read that is pretty normal with this engine.
Supposedly an OEM procedure called for removal of plugs and flushing solution down cylinder bores.

Has anyone used Shaler Rislone in this engine to clean up the oil rings etc? (In the crankcase)
Shaler says "no-problem" but I am skeptical with roller lifters etc.

The more I read the more I wonder if I shouldn't flip this car and get another Town Car I am 6'3 and getting old, I don't fold as well as I used to and frankly can't believe how little room there is for the driver with the seat all the way back. It is a DeVille for crumbs sake!
Right knee is into the ash tray mid-dash panel and left leg is equally uncomfortable.

General comments are welcome! Not trying to start a Lincoln/Caddy fight either! Just wondering what I should expect with this 32 Valve nightmare(I mean Northstar).

My brother in law is a 25 year GM Service garage tech and suggest I bail sooner than later!!
Thanks for your input.
------------------
My 2000 Grand Marquis has more leg room and is far quieter with respect to road transmission of road noise through the body. Great tires on both cars. I think it is the uni-body construction on the Caddy that I am hearing/feeling etc.

The last Caddy I had was a 68 Coup DeVille... The 2001 DevIlle sure has a lot of the bells and whistles but no comparison in ride or comfort to the 68.
For Comparison also my last FWD car was a 1989 LeSabre Coup. Had about the same road tension and noise as this Cadillac.
Wind noise and compartment noise is almost zero. Very quiet for a car of this age. The trustee of the estate indicated that the car was garaged all of the time. Decedent bought this car used in about 2004.

Also comments please: My DeVille(Base) has a gold ornament and badging on panels. I think it is hideous and gawdy. Was there some significance to this? Option to purchase? Up line treatment or something?
All of the DeVilles that I have seen that sport a stick up hood ornament are chrome or stainless/nickle.

Thanks for your comments and experience.
Ron

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
I have driven the car sedately for about 700 miles
and consumed 1 qt of oil so far.
From what I have read that is pretty normal with this engine.

1 qt in 1000 miles is considered acceptable -
neither of mine burn/use any oil in 5000 miles -

Supposedly an OEM procedure called for removal of plugs
and flushing solution down cylinder bores.

true -
but check out the WOT - Wide Open Throttle Procedure -
in the Tech Tips forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

or in the Northstar motor forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/

Has anyone used Shaler Rislone in this engine to clean up the oil rings etc?
NO -
leave ALL the versions of SNAKE OIL on the shelf for the next sucker -

put NOTHING in the crank case except 5W30 oil -

I wonder if I shouldn't flip this car and get another Town Car...................

can't believe how little room there is for the driver
with the seat all the way back.

My 2000 Grand Marquis has more leg room and is far quieter .................

My DeVille(Base) has a gold ornament and badging on panels.
I think it is hideous and gawdy.

sounds like you are a ford guy at heart -
you should scrap the caddy -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
I'm 6' 2.5" and can move a mid-00s Deville driver's seat back so far I have to stretch to reach the pedals. Remove the umbrella that's stuck under the seat - or exercise the seat to its fullest travels. Drive screw and track grease time ????

DO NOT keep the oil at the MAX or OPERATING RANGE full arrow tip - that's at least 1/2 quart overfilled and the engine WILL burn it off quickly. The proper level - from GM and Cadillac - is in the middle of the hashmark or XXXXXXXXXX. As posted, 5W-30, no snake oils are necessary or needed. WIX 51522 oil filter. WIX air filter, NOT a cutesy K&N. (My 2002.5 uses less than .5 quart oil in 6,500 miles)

You might want to study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation is good ...........". The Archive was written by one of the GM/Cadillac powertrain engineers and the engineer who developed the OLM.

Also, study each sticky thread in any forum of interest - they're "sticky" because each represents timeless info.

Subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - it's the GM/Cadillac service manuals plus a LOT more - you're gonna need it.

"ProAudio" - If your username has any remote connection with what I think you want to do to the existing sound system, have fun. Before you start have all your ducks in line - the sound system is part of the car's data bus, theft, and security systems. Make a mistake and your electrical/electronic gremlins will never leave you alone.

After studying the other posts here I think the advice to go back to a Panther FoMoCo vehicle are good advice.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I'm gonna have to second Basscat's comments. Sounds like you don't like the car. I'd just sell it and move back to the FoMoCo Panther line-up. No point in keeping a car you're not fond of unless you're stuck with no way out. It doesn't sound like you are stuck, so I'd just sell it and move on.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All great advise and a couple of lines made me smile! Thank you! Maybe I am a Ford guy after all... Have issue with them too! I will look and see if the track is obstructed on the Caddy seat. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure if I am "not fond" of this 2001 DeVille or not yet. As with everything it depends on what I am willing to spend on it to make it reasonable for me.
I put another 250 mile on the car this weekend and continue to be pleased with the fuel economy. Avg is over 23.5 MPG with about 80% road miles and the rest urban/suburban regions.

I will push the engine harder as I continue to own the car. I read with interest the WOT procedures as well as top end cleaning.
Pretty much the same think we used to do back in the 60's pre no-lead gas days.

Often used carbon tetracloride down the throat at 3/4 throttle till stalled.

Is it fair to presume that techron and similar will not pollute the CAT when used to TEC stall?

I think the front springs are bottoming out as it is also a bit lower than I think it should be. I Called Fed Mogul to get a ride height spec at the front and was given numbers that i don't understand just yet. Old school dimension from GM was center spindle to fender opening height or fender to road surface with OEM spec tires and rims.
I was given a number that relates to location of the lower control arm and some other point on the chassis. I am sure it is an accurate measurement but with out a picture or better description I could not relate to the two reference points.

Any opinions and practical experience with front springs/struts?
The monroe quickstrut would be a convenient way to go but the reviews are not so good. Probably will put Oem or Moog baack in if I ever get the ride height spec figured out

This 2001 is really in good shape cosmetically and probably mechanically too.
Thanks for the dipstick level tip too by the way Submarinner 409.

I wil continue to listen to the "Thread" as well as the my car.
Maybe we will get along after a while.

Thanks for your comments!
PS The caveats from Submarinner 409 with regard to audio and modifications are well understood and also should be headed by anyone wanting an aftermarket audio system.

That does bring up another question though:

As I read the owners manual I see that there were at least 4 different Audio / radio systems for this 2001 DeVille. I have the AM/FM stereo with built in CD player with cassette player. ALso has the glove box mounted CD changer that holds a cd cassete tray for multiple discs. (No Nav)
No RDS on this radio.
Here is the question: If I should locate the radio that is next upline with RDS will it plug in strait away or is there additional wiring requirement?

Also what is a reasonable price to pay for such?

Thanks again.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
Is it fair to presume that techron and similar
will not pollute the CAT when used to TEC stall?

techron is the only "approved" fuel system cleaner -
but it is simply poured into the gas tank -

anything that gets sucked into the engine via a vacuum source -
has a GREAT chance of hydro-locking the engine -

---------------

regarding proper ride-height specs -

YES - there is a very time consuming procedure you can follow -

or - the fast and dirty method -

28" - front and rear -

floor - through center of wheel - to the fender opening -
assuming stock size tires - properly inflated -
and properly working ELC - Electronic Level Control -

Any opinions and practical experience with front springs/struts?
Monroe offers two quick struts -
the 171685 - which uses the better SensaTrac strut -
and the 181685 Economatic - which I don't particularly like -

another popular choice would be -
Monroe 71685 SensaTrac strut -
and the MOOG 60232 coil springs -

-----------------

regarding the radios -

there was a big change in the electronics in 2002 and newer -
so you are limited to those systems from 2000 and 2001 ONLY -

the 6-disc CD changer is compatible with ALL stock radios -
BOSE - NAV - non BOSE - 2000 and 2001 only -

personally -
swapping up to the RDS radio just wouldn't be worth it -
unless your existing radio doesn't work -

assuming your BASE model Deville does NOT have the BOSE radio -
you are limited to the non-BOSE options -

the THEFT-LOCK system keys the radio to the VIN -
a radio swap requires a trip to the dealer to erase the old VIN -
they typically charge $50 to $100 to do this -

------------------

if you want to find out ALL the factory options on your car -
check out the RPO - Regular Production Options sticker -
located on the underside of the spare tire cover -

copy all the 3-character codes -
and go here to decipher them -
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
Do not ever pour enough crap into the intake manifold to stall a Northstar !!!!

The Northstar intake manifold bears absolutely NO resemblance to anything with a carburetor that you ever knew. This is a port injected engine with a central distribution log intake maniold with 10" tuned runners - by the time you get any snake oil to a cylinder it would be solid liquid - hydrolock - goodbye engine.

I strongly advise that you find out what you have before you break it - bad. Want some Northstar pictures and diagrams for your engine ??? Snoop through my albums - click my username, open the profile. Left column, 2 albums 6 pages of Northstar stuff. Click any picture to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

You will NEED a real GM service manual set - either eBay or www.helminc.com. Or, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - it's the GM service manuals plus a LOT more: Current RPOs, DTCs, TSBs, recalls, labor times, old parts pricing, lots more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once again thank you all for the experienced replies.
I don't think I would have actually tried to induce a liquid into the intake or plenum regardless of what some of the other members of this forum suggested.
Thanks for the other manual resources too by the way.

It has been my habit to get the factory manual(s) for almost all cars and trucks that I have owned. In fact thanks for the reminder.. I need to put the older town car (1992-1997) 3 volume set back on ebay! Perhaps I will get 20 bux back!

I have already looked on ebay for the 2001 Devile and nothing for the moment.

In my garage I do better than 97% of any work to be done. I stop at an engine swap as:
1) don't have the room to facilitate,
2) don't want the incredible mess that always goes with a home garage swap
3) in all likelihood the age of the cars I usually buy it would not be financially viable.

I have been contributing and using name_the_car_or_truck_Forums for many years and am greatful to all of the members that post fact and opinion.
As I learn the nuances of my new-to-me Caddy I will post relevant comments and experience.

There will be a new thread started re: cell phone adaptation etc by me shortly.

By the way no one has commented on the Gold emblems, lettering etc. Just noticed yesterday that even the key holes for the driver door and trunk have a gold tone to them.
Thanks again to all that have responded.

Ron
ProAudio

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
By the way no one has commented on the Gold emblems, lettering etc. Just noticed yesterday that even the key holes for the driver door and trunk have a gold tone to them.
If you need replacements, surf through the eBay store for BiggDaddyCaddy. Google it - all genuine GM stuff in NJ.

The gold accents were either a dealer add-on (usually in conjunction with fabric top) or the work of a previous owner.

http://stores.ebay.com/BiggDaddyCaddy

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
I have already looked on ebay for the 2001 Devile and nothing for the moment.
They are as rare as hens teeth since GM went paperless. Took me a good 6 months to find mind back in about '06.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts