Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would be VERY grateful for guidance:

Looking at 2001 Catera, 37750 miles (checked and verified). This is my first exposure to marque.

Brakes are soft and a bit spongy in my view, with significantly more pedal travel than I would expect before bite. Flat and level, hands off wheel, car pulls SLIGHTLY to the right when brakes engage. It is not an alarming thing, but the tendency is there.

My take - and I do NOT know how Cats are supposed to be:

At best system needs bleeding driver's side. At worst this Cat may need a new master cylinder.

Now the opposing view:

Dealer already had replaced pads. Their tech expert drove car after I raised this issue. He returned saying brakes are fine. He says all Cat brake systems feel and behave as I have reported above.

In fairness:

I did not raise the "pulling to right" with the tech guy. He was focused on the "soft/spongy" pedal aspect when he took his test drive. Which is not to say he would not have noticed the pulling on his own.

I am accustomed to older automobiles without ABS. Is there something in the Cat brake design which makes the pedal "feel" softer than perhaps I might expect? Is it possible this really is normal, and I just need to get up to speed re modern autos?

Or given 38,000 miles, is it more likely the master cylinder needs a look?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
XX
147 Posts
I'm not sure about your pulling issue, might be a rotor problem... however, I can tell you that the Catera has more than usual brake pedal travel and that if you go from driving a car that has a lot of "bite" to the Catera you may think there is a problem with the brakes. I find the brakes on my car (2000) to be pretty good, just takes more pedal travel and I"m totally used to it. My roommate goes from his 2000 BMW to my car and thinks I have brake problems but my brakes are fine....just a matter of getting used to it.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts