Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first oil change on the used 2001 Catera I bought late 2004. Car now has 22000 miles. Went to unscrew the oil filter housing cap so I could change the cartridge, but it appears the whole housing unscrewed. I couldn't get the housing to release totally though. The threads appear to have disengaged from the crankcase, the housing rattles freely, but won't release... no way to replace the cartridge. I assume the cap screws into the housing, and the housing screws into the crankcase. Anyway, anybody got any tips on how to remove the cap without the entire housing spinning? Only thing I can think of is to use some type of strap wrench to hold the housing while I use the 24mm wrench to loosen the cap. Not much room to get up in there, plus I don't own a strap wrench. Maybe this is how Cadillac makes sure you give them the oil change business!!

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Hold the body of the canister with something and then unscrew the cap from the top.. on the inside is how it connects to the engine. Or it may be that the canister is broken (has happened) - from being overtighented or stressed.

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SMKGF6YLDYIY33USAS2M31RMH

Download the html file at hand.. its a complete website that details the oil change and oil filter procedures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, and for the link to the oil change instructions. I will figure out some way to hold the housing so I can remove the cap. I wasn't certain that the cap and housing were even two separate pieces, but you've confirmed that for me. Unfortunately the images in the yousendit link do not display for some reason, but I think I have enough info.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just got done doing this myself, I had taken it to 3 places, and none of them where able to do it. I went to walmart and got a $2.73 strap wrench with the handle that bends, strapped it on and wedged the handle under the tranny, and off it came, replaced the filter and tightend the valve covers and no more oil leak, oil pressure stays up and steady now, before it would go between 60 and 20 psi, now it stays around 35 and steady.

8000 miles and it took doing it myself to get it done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doing my first oil change on the used 2001 Catera I bought late 2004. Car now has 22000 miles. Went to unscrew the oil filter housing cap so I could change the cartridge, but it appears the whole housing unscrewed. I couldn't get the housing to release totally though. The threads appear to have disengaged from the crankcase, the housing rattles freely, but won't release... no way to replace the cartridge. I assume the cap screws into the housing, and the housing screws into the crankcase. Anyway, anybody got any tips on how to remove the cap without the entire housing spinning? Only thing I can think of is to use some type of strap wrench to hold the housing while I use the 24mm wrench to loosen the cap. Not much room to get up in there, plus I don't own a strap wrench. Maybe this is how Cadillac makes sure you give them the oil change business!!
Hi there was just wondering how this was resolved, I'm currently having the same issue and would like some insight please.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,921 Posts
This thread has been dead for over 15 years, and the quoted member has not logged in for over 14 years. I would not expect a reply.

MAYBE a Google search for "cadillac forums catera oil filter housing removal" or something close might work.

Welcome to CF !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts