Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove a 2001, all the bells and stuff, with the hid headlights and led tails. Overall Between Fair and Good condition, Its a small dealer and he wants $5500 but is very negotiable. 100,000 miles, and some things are wrong, but the body is in good shape. I did notice the oil leaking around the gasket, of course :). But just thought what do you guys think, love the drive, and was impressed, have been wanting one of these for a while, and I know the 2000, and 01 models are the best. Any advice??? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most of the known problems had been solved on 01 models and I'd say take it as it's more than a bargain for $5500.

But do these first;
  • Let the car idle with the AC on for at least 10-15 minutes and watch the engine temp.
  • Check the engine oil filling cap for foam (oil mixing check).
  • Check the water reservoir for oil residue (same as above).
  • Start the car when it was cold and check for engine noise (a little tappering is fine for the first a few minutes) & blue smoke from the pipe.
  • Make sure the transmission acts properly.
  • Make sure the engine idles smooth.
If you decide to take it, get the timing belt, pulleys & water pump, spark plugs, transmission oil & filter replaced as they are due.

Good luck :stirpot:

·
Registered
187 Posts
omermurat said:
Most of the known problems had been solved on 01 models and I'd say take it as it's more than a bargain for $5500.

But do these first;

• Let the car idle with the AC on for at least 10-15 minutes and watch the engine temp.
  • Start the car when it was cold and check for engine noise (a little tappering is fine for the first a few minutes) & blue smoke from the pipe.
If you decide to take it, get the timing belt, pulleys & water pump, spark plugs, transmission oil & filter replaced as they are due.

I wish you had posted this before i bought my car LOL
just kidding,i have been lucky with my cat but you mentioned good points when buying a catera.

·
Registered
484 Posts
omermurat said:

But do these first;

If there is engine tapping what is usually the cause?

Also what were all of the changes from 2000-2001?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The hydrolic lifters of the valves need some time and temp to operate properly, and during that time they tapper.

Almost no visible changes between 00 and 01 other that ironing some problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
correct me if i am wrong but the engine in the 99 is also the same as 00 and 01 right. Also if you want the vented brakes e-bay has alot of them.

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
bengsxr said:
correct me if i am wrong but the engine in the 99 is also the same as 00 and 01 right. Also if you want the vented brakes e-bay has alot of them.
Yes 99' is when they implemented the newer designs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts