Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Catera - Soft rakes?

Would be VERY grateful for guidance:

Looking at 2001 Catera, 37750 miles (checked and verified). This is my first exposure to marque.

Brakes are soft and a bit spongy in my view, with significantly more pedal travel than I would expect before bite. Flat and level, hands off wheel, car pulls SLIGHTLY to the right when brakes engage. It is not an alarming thing, but the tendency is there.

My take - and I do NOT know how Cats are supposed to be:

At best system needs bleeding driver's side. At worst this Cat may need a new master cylinder.

Now the opposing view:

Dealer already had replaced pads. Their tech expert drove car after I raised this issue. He returned saying brakes are fine. He says all Cat brake systems feel and behave as I have reported above.

In fairness:

I did not raise the "pulling to right" with the tech guy. He was focused on the "soft/spongy" pedal aspect when he took his test drive. Which is not to say he would not have noticed the pulling on his own.

I am accustomed to older automobiles without ABS. Is there something in the Cat brake design which makes the pedal "feel" softer than perhaps I might expect? Is it possible this really is normal, and I just need to get up to speed re modern autos?

Or given 38,000 miles, is it more likely the master cylinder needs a look?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If the car pulls during braking you could have a caliper that is sticking. Check the rubber brake lines. It could be getting cloged up.

If your going to bleed the brakes, do it the right way and bleed all of them for extra insurance.

Anything is possible. You could have a bad M/C. I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't know much about the Catera's but spongy brakes is due to a bad M/C and or air in the braking system.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies to this group.

Administrator please remove earlier post, which posted all by itself to this forum.

I was not even IN this forum when I wrote and posted this!!

Tried your "edit" function, but designer did not bother to include or provide for delete capability.

DO know the difference between a CTS and a Catera.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
guardian said:
Apologies to this group.

Administrator please remove earlier post, which posted all by itself to this forum.

I was not even IN this forum when I wrote and posted this!!

Tried your "edit" function, but designer did not bother to include or provide for delete capability.

DO know the difference between a CTS and a Catera.

Thanks.
:welcome: to the CTS Forum:bouncy: :D

We talk Catera here. The CTS replaced the Catera. Some of our parts still have the Catera name on them. We have CTS-V, DeVille and Eldorado members drop in to visit. Your brake problem is an issue shared by all Cadillac owners. I think some of the tips you received are valid..MC or air in the brake lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
dkozloski