Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil leak when oil is at full level.but almost no leak when it shows low ( below the cross hatched area ).
Any chance the dipstick is not the correct length ????

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Measure the oil level with exactly 7.5 quarts of oil/filter. THAT is the correct level for that engine. About the middle of the hashmarks. At the top is 0.5 quart overfilled. In the add range is 1 quart low. At the < tip is 2 quarts low.

The dipstick P/N is 12560197.

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX <-- OPERATING RANGE ============oo=======================O

Here's the GM/Cadillac TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that tells you - top of P.3 in the link in Post #1.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/198220-northstar-ring-cleaning-procedure-proper-oil.html

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help, I have been obviously running with too much oil.
Hopefully this will eliminate the leak, or at least minimize it.

Roy.

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
The most common sources of oil weeps/leaks in our series of engine are, in no particular order: Cam cover gasket(s)(expensive labor), oil pressure sending switch, oil filter adapter O-rings, oil level sensor, CKP seal(s), oil drain plug, oil pan seal ("gasket"), halfcase seal (staggeringly expensive - total engine disassembly), rear main crank seal (same expenses as <).

Clean the engine, use the proper oil level, and start snooping. Oil leak ??? Drops on the floor ??

CKP ??? The Acronyms sticky at the top of this forum threads page.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question, WTO, I have been looking through posts for this operation, would you direct me to a post please ?

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have purchased both crankshaft sensors & both oil switches and will have them all installed next week, hopefully that will help diminish the oil leak.

----------

Somewhere there is a suggestion about running the sts at WOT to clean the engine ?

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
??? If none of the 4 items is/were leaking, why throw (expensive) parts at the engine ? You just went out and bought over $200 in parts and now will spend twice that in labor - and you don't know where the (possible) leak was from in the first place ........

WOT - Go way up ^^^ to the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive - written by one of the GM Northstar powertrain design engineers and by the engineer who developed the OLM algorithms.

Oil leak = puddles on the driveway, wet lower engine parts

Oil consumption = oil disappearance with no obvious telltale signs or causes.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your concern but the engine has been hard to start and has been stalling, it has thrown code for the lower crank sensor. I have decided to have both crank sensors replaced while in there, the other parts are inexpensive with little or no extra labour charges. I will though study what you have suggested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts