Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS Seville
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've had this problem in the past and somehow got it to work but not this time. Both of the rear doors refuse to open. One has a seat belt caught in it (belt only) while the other just won't open. I've tried locking the car and then hitting the unlock on both the fob and the drivers door but the doors refuse to open. I suspect the child safety locks somehow got engaged but I thought the doors would still open from the outside once unlocked with the fob. Can anyone offer any advice how to get them to open?
Appreciated the help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:yeah:

Can you manually pull up the lock plunger and open the doors?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Do they open from the inside?
i think the OP mentioned that he thought the child safety lock was engage cause they would not open so assuming that is what the OP first had in mind
then im going to assume they wont open from the Inside but maybe he never did try

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
Have you tried using the key? The child safety lock should only disable the inside door handle.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I think he meant the front door to unlock because you can unlock all four doors on the second key turn in the lock

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
:yeah:

Try unlocking the doors electronically. Climb into the back seat and put a shoulder to the door while someone on the outside holds the door handle in the open position.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
if that does work that is good
good idea

but im still baffled about how both doors at the same time stoped working and if it is not electrical

do the windows work i guess i need to go read the first post over again to see if you mentioned that i don't remmber

but just so if they dont work then maybe its your rear door modual that blew a fuse perhaps but can't say for sure untill i read and all

but just an idea if its more then just the locks that don't work

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Why would it matter if they're unlocked electronically (either by remote or second key turn) or by manually pulling up on the lock plunger/knob?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Why would it matter if they're unlocked electronically (either by remote or second key turn) or by manually pulling up on the lock plunger/knob?
Not really sure that it would matter
but right now for the OP anything is worth a try
it can only take up a few minutes of his time and im sure he would want to try in every possible way
cause i don't see it being a cheap or easy fix if there is something truly keeping those doors from opening and its not an electrical issue
the only thing i could think of that would keep both rear does from working would be the Control Modual but aht would only keep the power from not working the doors could still be manually opened

·
Registered
2000 STS Seville
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, thank you to all that have posted! I somehow got drivers side rear door to open. Trying different combinations, I put the car in gear, hit unlock and lock on the drivers door panel a few times and it opened? I'm still trying to figure out how to get the seat belt out of the other rear door. It appears to be caught right at the latch location. One poster suggested sitting inside, hitting unlock and have somebody on the other side hold the handle open while trying to push on the door. I suspect the belt could be looped around the projecting latch on the door frame? The door is not making a noise when lifting up the handle telling me the door is disengaged from the latch. I could be pushing for nothing. Any suggestions on this dilemma??
Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts