Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 red STS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all, i have just a few simple questions. First is my drivers side fog light blew out and i realize that i have to drop the bottom plastic pannel anytips for this?

Second is that 12 months later my trunk is still leaking along with my tail light assembly on both sides and the trunk lid itself. Anyway to fix this? I am tired of blowing bulbs due to the moisture building up in there.

Thanks for the help. I think GM made my car of swiss cheese since it has more holes then a russian sub

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
These are both problems I had with my 99 STS. There is no magic to dropping the splash guard up front other than finding all the attachment clips. Don't forget the two in each wheel well. I use a pair of bent needle nose pliers to pull the center studs out. Ewill3rd has a cool tool for them too that he posted somewhere here not too long ago. Getting the fog bulb sockets in and out was a pain as I recall.

For the leak, take the trunk mat out and let it dry for a couple of days. You will find three holes in the bottom of the spare tire well that you need to fill the seams with RTV or silicone sealant. You also probably need to replace the trunk gasket - apparently the old ones are a bad design but the replacements don't leak.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can buy the tool to remove the clips at almost any parts store.
They make several varieties.
If you want I can post a picture, in the absence of the tool you can use a pair of side cutters to grab the center and pull it out then remove the clips.

To change the fog lamp bulb, you just unplug it and then twist it about 1/4 turn counter clockwise and slide it out.
Be careful not to touch the new bulb with your fingers or the oils from your skin can cause the bulb to overheat and fail.
It is actually quite easy but you may not have much room doing it on the ground.

·
Registered
2000 red STS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want I can post a picture, in the absence of the tool you can use a pair of side cutters to grab the center and pull it out then remove the clips.

To change the fog lamp bulb, you just unplug it and then twist it about 1/4 turn counter clockwise and slide it out.
Be careful not to touch the new bulb with your fingers or the oils from your skin can cause the bulb to overheat and fail.
It is actually quite easy but you may not have much room doing it on the ground.

Thanks all for the help. I havent crawled under the car yet to take apart that fog light assembly. I took a quick peek and couldnt find too many of the clips thats why i was asking if there were any tricks.

My local autozone doesnt have the clip remover tool.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Thanks all for the help. I havent crawled under the car yet to take apart that fog light assembly. I took a quick peek and couldnt find too many of the clips thats why i was asking if there were any tricks.

My local autozone doesnt have the clip remover tool.
The only trick is finding all the clips and its a little work to wiggle the shield out - I never seem to do it the same way. I would guess there's 8-10 total. Its also somewhat easier if you can get the front end up some with a floor jack so you have some more room to work.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can "borrow" some workspace thanks to most local roadway construction.
I have found if you have a curb in front of your house you can use your driveway as a ramp and drive two wheels up on the curb or slightly on the grass. This lifts the car up safely and gives you a surprising amount of room to get underneath.
If you do any work on your car, it is almost worth the money to buy a set of those trim tools.
Did you see the links I posted for those tools?
If you see a snap-on truck or another tool truck, they usually carry similar tools too.

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
hey man, this is kinda weird but i too have a 2000 sts with the same problems. i have since fixed the fog light though. it was easy; i didnt take off that plastic scrape plate all the way but instead took out enough clips to just bend it enough to get my hands in there. no jacks needed; it took me prolly 10 minutes.

however, i do have a leak in my trunk seal somewhere and i cant find it. i plan on putting a system in my car and theres no way im even gonna start unless i find the leak but i cant. so, guys, should i just get a new seal? and if so, is the oem part recommended and can i install myself?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sevilles are pretty notorious for water leaks in the trunk.
Sometimes they can be tricky to find and it can run into money.
I'd have a pro check it out if you really want it watertight.
There are companies that specialize in water leaks and they know exactly where to look on those cars.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts

This is great advice. The side cutters fit right behind the pin holding it, and you just pull the pin out of the clip. Very easy and very fast. Also buy yourself a pair of composite ramps. They are lightweight and offer great traction. I do believe not too expensive too. A long time since I bought mine so I do not remember how much they are. Do not buy steel ramps. They weigh a ton, offer no traction, and are too tall to fit under the bumper.

Don

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I used to use side cutters for years before I broke down and bought the "trim tool" which I now use every day.
The trim tool works a little bit faster.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Some body shops sprinkle baby power along trunk seal. You can try that.

In regard to tool for plastic clips, you can always try and old set of chop sticks or small (thin) tweezers; just use the leverage.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
The trunk seal/gasket is rarely the problem..

Is it leaking at the latch? if it is then and only then is it the seal... Most times these leak at the back were the trim strip (at the bottom on the rear window) is screwed down... The plastic screw blocks leak... they all do...

Most people who have had their gasket replaced at the dealer do not notice that the dealer also applies a big blob of butyl caulk at and over each one of the 4 screw blocks... once this is done the leak will be fixed. You just paid for a $60 gasket plus labor when $8.00 of goo and 10 minute are all it takes.

There are two other leaks in the trunk that are rarer, but still more common then the gasket:
1) Sunroof drains. These can become cracked, plugged or dislodged and this will leak into the trunk and/or back seat and
2) Body seams. Especially the ones near the tail lights... The robot that applied the seam sealer was hit or miss... mostly miss.

BEFORE you waste $50-80 on a new trunk gasket... fix the screw blocks or the body seams.

Silicone sealants can be used as a substitute for proper butyl caulk... But as we know in our bathrooms Silicone will dry out, harden and peal after a few years and your leak will return...

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
I've been meaning to climb inside my trunk with a flashlight and leak test it. I just never seem to find the time. My spare tire and all my trunk paneling/hardware has been sitting in my garage for the last 5 months or so. I've been really lazy about checking it for the source of the leak, but I should really get on it. Somehow, water always seems to make it into the the trunk lid. After it rains, when I pop open the trunk, water always seems to pour out from both bottom corners of the trunk lid, in-between the rear tail-lamp assembly, and the actual lid itself. It collects there, and then runs down into the spare tire well, along the rear wall of the trunk compartment.....just below the latch. I should really get off my ass and look into it some more. I also need to clean al the rust off the jack. It (and the spare tire) were buried in four inches of ice when I pulled them out earlier this year..haha. Damn winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts