Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post since joining. Great forum.

I have a '00 STS with 67k. It is reliable and has not yet had a major problem, just routine maintenance/service.

One minor gripe - it has an occassional whirling noise that I can hear when driving. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side. It is rythmic and always occurs in bursts of either 3 or 8 'whirls', evenly spaced, about a second or so in between each whirl. It never does it when idling - only when the car is in motion above 25 mph. While occassionally this happens in city driving, it most frequently happens on the highway at a steady cruise of 65 mph. Nothing seems to instigate it - cruise control can be on or off, car can be humming along at 2000 rpm or accelerating slightly - some days it happens several times, and some days it doesn't happen at all.

I have it serviced at the local Cadillac dealership, and I mentioned the noise and asked them to check the belts, wheels and such and the last 3 times it was in for oil and they said they inspected it for any problems, checked the engine belts, tires & brakes and couldn't find anything wrong, and couldn't hear the noise in the shop. Well, it never does it at idle, so I had them take it for a test drive but it didn't make the noise wheile they were out in their 10 minute drive. I'd love to know what causes the noise. It started about 10 months ago, and hasn't gotten any worse over the 10 months - it is about the same in loudness, and occurs with about the same frequency - some days it does it, some days not. I asked my brother to listen for it while driving with me and he heard it as well after 20 minutes of driving - he thought it sounded like a faint helicopter blade starting its pre-take off rotations (whosh-whosh-whosh) for 8 whoshes and then nothing or a couple of minutes, then three more whoshes, then quiet for 20 seconds, then three more, then nothing for the final 30 minutes of our drive.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Is the AC on when you hear the noise? Maybe a valve is sticking somewhere intermittently causing a more rapid venting of the system? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a whooshing noise. The next time you hear it, try shutting the climate control off and see if it stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts