Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 STS with 65K and besides having to have both steering wheel controls replaced (the lights burned out on both on the same day) everything is fine except this...
The engine shuts off when it wants to, not when I turn the key off. This has happened 3 times in as many months. Once it shut off when I was backing into a parking space. The second while in park while I ran into my house for a minute and the last time while I was coming to a stop at a red light.
No warning lights on the dash, no info on the drivers info center, nothing. The headlights stayed on, the radio stayed on, and besides the car not moving when I pushed the gas pedal, I wouldn't have noticed the engine shut off.
Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Do you have any codes?

You can retrieve the codes from the dash LED without any special tools. All you have to do is turn the key on, the engine can be off or running. Then press the off and warmer (red) (or off and passenger warmer) buttons at the same time untill all the dash lights light up. Then it will go through all the modules telling you all the codes until it reaches "PCM?". You can turn the car off at this prompt, to exit diagnostics mode, or you can tap the off button once for it to repeat the codes.

Post the codes up here and someone will help you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same happen before. No codes nothing show .Even do the self diagnostic.After change the cranshaft position sensor never stall again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Crank sensors? Whoa, you learn something new here every day. I'll have to remember that one because I would've never made that connection. It's good to have the experienced people here. :worship:

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Rock said:
Crank sensors? Whoa, you learn something new here every day. I'll have to remember that one because I would've never made that connection. It's good to have the experienced people here. :worship:
Yep, definitely crank position sensors. No question about it. Especially on a 2000, they were known to have come from a source that had quality problems. I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine after replacing both the A and B crank position sensors.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, forgive my ignorance, but my heater controls dont have a "warmer" button. I have "auto", "Front defrost", "rear defrost" buttons along the left, 2 on/off/temp knobs (driver and pass), fan up and down button, ac off button, and vent button.
Which of these do I press simultaneously to pull up the codes????
I was sitting in my car for over an hour pushing all combinations of two different buttons and the most that happened was the heat turned on and off.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On your dashboard righthand side there are three button.Hold the on/off and info^ button together (Key in ON position).After that you will see all the lights on than release the two button.Than will show all codes? press on again .Now here you go Sir!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Juniorverse said:
OK, forgive my ignorance, but my heater controls dont have a "warmer" button. I have "auto", "Front defrost", "rear defrost" buttons along the left, 2 on/off/temp knobs (driver and pass), fan up and down button, ac off button, and vent button.
Which of these do I press simultaneously to pull up the codes????
I was sitting in my car for over an hour pushing all combinations of two different buttons and the most that happened was the heat turned on and off.
Thanks in advance.
Here is more than you wanted to know about code retrieval for a '98 to '04 Seville.... plus '00 to '05 Devilles.
=======================================================
DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville and 2000-2005 Deville
Use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.
ON/OFF = YES
INFO RESET = NO
INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle
Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:
Display shows "ALL?"
Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.
Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.
Ignition OFF to exit.
SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)
ABS (Antilock Brake System)
AMP (Amplifier)
DDM (Door Driver Module)
DIM (Dash Integration Module)
IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
IPM (Instrument Panel Module)
IRC (Integrated Radio Module)
PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
RFA (Remote Function Actuation)
RIM (Rear Integration Module)
SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat of Seville.
VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)
MSM (Memory Seat Module)
TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)
RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)
last edited 12/27/04 jwd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
JimD