Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The 2000 Northstars did have casting problems that led to porous blocks. Mine was one of them! At around 44,000 miles I started smelling coolant. I took it to the dealer, and they replaced the water pump. After that, I kept smelling coolant, and they said that coolant was leaking through the block in the intake valley. So who knows if the water pump was leaking or, they just replaced it just in case??? So a new 2002 engine was installed. But luckily for me Cadillac paid for it! :)
By now though, I would think that all the engines that had porous blocks from that year would have been replaced.
This sounds like exactly what happened with the water pump situation.
The coolant smell never completely went away.

Car was never overheated. Temperature was not an issue, coolant on the driveway was though.

·
Registered
1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS
685 Posts
jcar302 ,

If your Dad is a SLOW ass driver, He does not need to own ANY car with a Northstar engine in it. As stated above, those engines need to be run up every now and then above 3 grand on the tach to keep carbon deposits at a minimum. The ticking your Dad was talking about it probably "Carbon Rap" ... A condition in which the carbon builds up inside the cylinder so much that it begans to "tap" the top of the pistons.

If he ops for a new engine, it might fix the oil comsumption slightly but all the other problems will come back unless you can get a Northstar that has had the rings tightened and the block "Timeserted"

There is a Vendor on eBay who sells remanufactured Northstars for a tick over 3 1/2 grand. And those engine have had the most common Northstar problems addressed during the remanufacturing process.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
he likes the car, and there really isn't a good caddy FWD choice without a powerful engine.
Basically what your saying is he should have a cts, that's absurd.
The car has be wrung out from time to time from my brothers usage, but it wasn't real often.
He didn't hear the tick, i did.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,732 Posts
Weve had numerous 2002's on here with HG failure as well. Only year I havent seen affected yet is 2003.
I didn't say head gasket failure. I had no problems with that. I was talking about casing defects that cause a porous blocks. It only happened on 2000 and some very early 2001 Northstars.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
I notice that Toyota's have been thrown around here a bit. I work for Toyota, and I can honestly say, that 85% of them are junk. Cheaply built and manufactured....you get what you pay for. Placement of certain parts like spark plugs, oil filters, ect...are poorly planned and designed in most cases. Timing belts aren't cheap to replace either. Interiors are cheesy and boring, with use of lots of hard plastics. Basically, they're what gm was in the early 90's. Tranny's aren't great either. They don't handle all that well, especially the steering feel....lot's of bump steer. I think I'd rather drive a Deawoo than a Toyota. The half decent Toyota's I've seen are some of the newer trucks which are kinda nice. Reliability wise though, old Camry's, Carolla's, and trucks like the T100, or ealier 4-Runners will run forever, as long as you maintain them. I had a Camry come in the other day for an oil change, that had 320k miles on it. Sure it had more oil on the bottom of it then what came out of the pan, but hay...it still ran ok. The problem with them, is that the suspension, and body last 1/3 as long as the drivetrain. The body is rusted out before they even hit 100k in some cases. Cheap, thin Japanese steel.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Sounds just like what happened to my 99. Looking back I think mine was my own fault because I waited to long to change the coolant. I saw 150k miles on the coolant and failed to read the 5 year part. Sounds like this car was poorly maintained and it would make a good car to someone that would want to put an engine in it. Sounds like the Headgaskets where bad long enough to wreck the rings that is what happened to my 99. If you keep the coolant fresh I think the headgaskets would last alot longer. It can't hurt to change it more often.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I didn't say head gasket failure. I had no problems with that. I was talking about casing defects that cause a porous blocks. It only happened on 2000 and some very early 2001 Northstars.
In that case I stand corrected, I thought you meant that a 2002 motor would somehow be immune to HG problems, which is a myth Ive had to dispell quite frequently.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I notice that Toyota's have been thrown around here a bit. I work for Toyota, and I can honestly say, that 85% of them are junk. Cheaply built and manufactured....you get what you pay for. Placement of certain parts like spark plugs, oil filters, ect...are poorly planned and designed in most cases. Timing belts aren't cheap to replace either. Interiors are cheesy and boring, with use of lots of hard plastics. Basically, they're what gm was in the early 90's. Tranny's aren't great either. They don't handle all that well, especially the steering feel....lot's of bump steer. I think I'd rather drive a Deawoo than a Toyota. The half decent Toyota's I've seen are some of the newer trucks which are kinda nice. Reliability wise though, old Camry's, Carolla's, and trucks like the T100, or ealier 4-Runners will run forever, as long as you maintain them. I had a Camry come in the other day for an oil change, that had 320k miles on it. Sure it had more oil on the bottom of it then what came out of the pan, but hay...it still ran ok. The problem with them, is that the suspension, and body last 1/3 as long as the drivetrain. The body is rusted out before they even hit 100k in some cases. Cheap, thin Japanese steel.
The mid 80s to late 90s were the proverbial "golden age" for Toyota and Lexus. It was nearing the end of the time where they were still working hard to prove themselves in some categories where they were still not leaders, or even considered. The 1990-2000 LS400, and the 1990 and up Land Cruiser and LX470 were probably the culmination of that era. After 2000 (much like Mercedes by the way), Toyota began to operate like any other manufacturer... dominated by the all-mighty plastic. Today they arent much different from your average Hyundai. In fact, Hyundai probably has a better product.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, the deal is done, they gave him 6K for his car, book value was 8K.
Put it towards an srx AWD limited with 20,000 miles on it.
Which i think landed up being $22,000 after the 6,000 off for the trade.
Picks it up on monday.
Pretty nice suv.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Hmm... I'm skeptical of a dealer offering $6000 for a vehicle with a known engine problem, knowing that they'll have to replace the engine. I know it's probably immaterial now, but did you have the head gasket problem confirmed by a second opinion? I'm just wondering aloud if the head gasket story was their intention to get your dad to dump his "junk" and get into something newer. Happens all the time and, unfortunately, really poisons the well in regards to brand quality perception.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Actually, it sounds like the car was probably in pristine condition other than the headgaskets. Considering theyll make anywhere between 1500 to 3000.00 or more on the sale of the SRX, and the fact they can use their OWN labor to repair the headgaskets (and probably without timeserting at that) at a Cadillac dealer, theyll probably put it on the lot for 11990 and make a few bucks off it still. Even if they make 200.00, theyre still ahead. In fact, theyre still ahead even if they LOSE money on the Seville.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Yeah but the dealer will put a new engine in it and likely scam gm and get it for nothing.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Yep they will claim warranty on it and re sell the car with a new engine. 6,000 aint bad though for a car with a bad engine. I sold my 99 with a blown engine and it had 160,000 miles on it for 1,500.00

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yep they will claim warranty on it and re sell the car with a new engine. 6,000 aint bad though for a car with a bad engine. I sold my 99 with a blown engine and it had 160,000 miles on it for 1,500.00
Bastard... how come you didnt let me know? I was gonna give you 1700 for it. I told ya to let me know!

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No scam, i know what the smoke from a blown HG or water in the oil looks like.
Car was also giving trouble starting.
With my fathers aggressive attitude, and bad temper, he would of been the wrong guy to try a BS scam on.
We've also had 1/2 a dozen caddy's from them over the last 10 years.

The way i see it, everyone makes out, they fix the HG, sell the car for a profit since other than the engine it's in mint condition, we get rid of a car that really has been probelmatic, and he's gets an awd suv that he likes anyway.
We do live in NJ, and the winters get a little nasty sometimes.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
No scam, i know what the smoke from a blown HG or water in the oil looks like.
Car was also giving trouble starting.
With my fathers aggressive attitude, and bad temper, he would of been the wrong guy to try a BS scam on.
We've also had 1/2 a dozen caddy's from them over the last 10 years.

The way i see it, everyone makes out, they fix the HG, sell the car for a profit since other than the engine it's in mint condition, we get rid of a car that really has been probelmatic, and he's gets an awd suv that he likes anyway.
We do live in NJ, and the winters get a little nasty sometimes.
He didnt mean they are scamming your dad, he meant they will try to get GM to foot the bill for a new motor under warranty pretenses, or some other trick.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Sorry dude you said you would have given me 1500 and I didn't think you would want to come all the way from florida for it. And besides the dash was warped, the air conditioner wasn't holding the 134a. and the front struts where needing replaced as well.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts