Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed information on this item but I have looked back and did not see anything specific.

On my STS the CD changer in the armrest will not load CDs. It was working fine and then the display came up with a error message. I had to hit the cartrige eject button several times to get the cartrige out. I cleaned what I could see and reinserted the cartrige. It loaded all the disks and worked. But when it went to go to disk #2 it quit again. Had to hit the eject button many many times this time. Any simple solution? Maybe the cartrige needs replaced?

Maybe I need to clean something? Maybe dump a bucket of soap down there?!?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same problem with my 99 STS and have not found a solution as yet. In fact, I could not get the CD cartridge to eject at all. I'll be interested in hearing what the resolution is.

Fortunately, I have the in-dash player also, so I am not totally without a CD player.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,722 Posts
I bought a used one for $35, so you may want to wait or look around some more.

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think maybe something needs cleaned? Or do the plastic cartriages themselves wear? Where can you buy a new cartriage? Certainly somewhere beside the Caddy dealer.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Hmm...that's interesting. Mine CD changer works, but the skip protection buffer doesn't work anymore. If I speed up quickly, or hit the brakes hard, it will skip. It will even skip if I make a sharp turn. I would say that it's on it's way out. There are a few aftermarket companies that make replacements for our cars, that are a little nicer (and newer) than the factory OEM model.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What's wrong is the optics are either going bad or are in need of physical cleaning. I bought my 99 STS with the changer not working. I took it out, cleaned it with canned air, 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol, and a q-tip and worked like a charm. The reason the cartridge is sticking is because the optics are refocussing constantly trying to track the CD and is locking the entire system. It will stay locked until the system gives up trying to track and puts the CD back into place. Be patient, it may take up to 2-3 minutes to stop trying. You can lock a computer the same way if you put in a scratched cd it can't read, the computer will freeze and you won't be able to do anything until you get the disk out. Sometimes it may require a restart and ejecting the CD before it gets completely booted. Before you spend tons of money, try a cleaning, took me maybe an hour to take it out, dismantle it, clean it, and put it back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts