Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2000 SLS with 64,000 miles on it. Beatiful car. Lady says the car gets 26 MPG on the road. We do very little city driving. The lady wants $9800 for the car. Drives and runs fantastic. I want the car but I also want 20+ MPG. Can you help me out here with some true MPG experience and spec? Need Help

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
In tune, with the right tire pressure, an intelligent driving style, and barring any other out-of-the-ordinary circ.'s, you will easily keep it above 20. My Eldo averages 22.6 overall, day/night highway/city , rain/shine , summer/winter. On a recent trip to Florida in the Deville, at turnpike speeds with A/C, our average was 26 and change...

All this on plain old pump regular, as well....

·
Registered
No caddy atm due to HG. 1997 Lexus ES300
68 Posts
I do mostly city driving, so my MPG average hangs arounds 16-17.
But when I do get out on the highway and interstate It will easily climb up above 20.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
I am averaging 25, mostly highway. Will drop to 23-24 during the winter. 26 straight highway is about right. Thats about what I got when I picked up my car in Texas and drove it home.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I averaged about 20 city and 28-30 highway with my '97 SLS. The '01 STS doesn't do as well...I'm getting about 18-19 city and get about 25 highway.

With a 2000 SLS (same drivetrain as past SLSes and DeVilles), you should easily see 20 mpg, especially if a good portion is at higher (highway) speeds.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 2000 SLS True MPG. What is it? I bought it!!

I bought it!! $9500 and she will pay for a detail up to $125. Pearl White and runs great. Beautiful exterior but the interior needs a good detail and then it will look like new. What are some of the extra options on this car? I know it has On-Star. What type of Audio System? Some one told me that it is a Bose system is that true. It sounds good. The car has a new battery and has had the support bearing replaced on the tranny. Is this a common repair? What type of oil should I use and what are minor upgrades for good performance?
Thanks
Tim

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
Not much in the way of performance upgrades. The manual calls for 5W30 conventional oil (I still use 10W30). Read the owners manual and the Technical Archives at the top left of this page. BTW, Congratulations!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I reckon it's all about how you treat the gas pedal .I get 15 lt/100 km or 10.2 lt/100 km for the same distance as well . If you're lead footed no way you can get 25 and up MPG in highway

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
:thumbsup: Spend several hours of your new owner time in these forums , looking in the tech articles and search functions for: RPO, TSB, coolant, DexCool, tablets, brakes, rotors, oil, synthetic, detail, www.autogeek.net, OnStar (coming upgrade, mandatory for continued service), oil filter, CKP (crankshaft position sensor), ....and....read your owner's manual for recommended service and lubricants. Don't fall for snake oil, do your homework, and use your head. (I bought my STS on 11-15-05, live in a rural area, have never reset the gas mileage average (presently 21.2), and get 18-19-20 in and around "town', and anywhere from 23.5 to 27 highway......cruise control, A/C, night, lead foot....all makes a difference.) Look at the RPO code list on the sticker under the spare tire cover and decipher all your options. The sound system will be there.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
If you have a BOSE system, it will say so on the radio faceplate. If it don't say BOSE, it's probably the stock AC-Delco...

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac STS
154 Posts
The thing about gas mileage is the computer reads 0mpg when you are stopped, so if you are idling in traffic or waiting for someone, it drops your average a lot. That is why I believe my 18 mpg average is a bit low. I wish the comp would average it out when it gets a wheel speed reading but oh well. By the way, does that car have a shake or vibration at 65+ mph? Its the only think I wish I could fix.
Congrats!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
:rolleyes: Cyberdan.........Think about what you just said........If your engine is running and the car is standing still, you are getting 0 mpg. Let's say you sit still for 1/2 hour and run at 60 for 1/2 hour. At 0 your mpg is 0. At 60 your mpg is 25. For that hour, your AVERAGE MPG is 12.5, so it will take a lot of miles at 60 to pull the long term average up to ~23-24. Instant mileage is not very useful......have you ever looked at the effect of a 10 mph headwind? Tailwind????

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The AVG MPG calculation is a very simple one. Distance driven divided by fuel used. It's that simple. There's no such thing as "only when the wheels are turning" or "it goofed up because I was sitting at the bank for 5 minutes".

If your engine is on (and thusly, fuel is being used), the AVG MPG is "counting", if you will. It measures fuel used (based on injector pulse width) and distance driven (based on the odometer). It should be extremely accurate. If it doesn't agree with what you calculate at the pump, over a period of 4-5 fill-ups, something is amiss in your fueling system somewhere (a leak, etc).

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
16 Posts
I was getting around 19 during my commute which is about 50/50 city/highway and 26 on the road at 80.
I ran a can of BG44k thru my car and I am getting between 21 to 22 during my commute.

·
Registered
82 Coupe Deville /03 Seville SLS
76 Posts
The brand gas has made a difference for me ... I got an average of 29 - 31 on the hwy in my 02 Deville driving at 62MPH cruise set with Mobil gas. When I would use Chevron / Standard or Arco / BP I would notice that the average would drop to 25MPG on the same road with the same weather conditions ....

The other factor that I have noticed is that it may take a while for the computer to learn your driving style, my 03 SLS that I have had almost a month doesn't get as good gas mileage yet I am at 24MPG so far! ....

Just read the TSB's, change your coolant often, and check your oil frequently! These engines are designed to burn oil!

Most of all .... Enjoy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only way to accurately know your MPG is to record the odometer readings and the gallons added for a number of consecutive fuel tank fill-ups. The computer readings are fun to watch, but their accuracy varies from car to car. Also there is considerable difference between the MPG of a Y engine drivetrain vs a 9 engine drivetrain. I have had a number of Y driveline Sevilles and the freeway mileage can be really amazing if you have the patience to set the cruise at 66 and leave it there. Easily over 30 MPG over successive fillups. I have done this with both 91 Octane and 87 Octane models. But who can really do that 66 MPH stuff forever? It's torture. Also, my city mileage is always 20+ except in the cold months of winter when the oils don't get warmed up enough. I expect lots of criticism, because I have never heard others make claims like this in a number of previous threads like this, but remember I do insist that this was only at 66 MPH. With the cruise set at 79 - 80 I only get 26 - 28 MPG freeway. Again. Totally freeway miles.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
My mileage with my '97 SLS was about 20 city and 30 highway. I totally believe you, because I got it too.

But the computer readout should match your hand calculations, and it should be almost exactly the same when averaged over time (5 or 10 fills). If not, something is wrong with the fuel system (leak). The computer knows the pulse width of the injectors, and knows exactly how much fuel the engine was SUPPOSED to consume. If there's an external leak, or if an injector is sticky, the computer won't know that, and the reading will be off. It's always best to compare your computer to your hand calculations, because it can highlight a problem with the car.

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
I average 13-14 mpg on a 2 mile trip to work with only slow city driving in between. On a long trip I will average 20 mpg but my TCC is funked so it should be a little better i would expect. I also tend to have a heavier foot when I get an open road. Its no fun having all the power just to stop at stop signs and hang out in traffic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts