Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Transmission in my 2000 sls started acting funny. Rough Shifting, Then it started to Shift Only Around the 5500-6000 Rpm range when giving half throttle. i mean it would get up there before it shifted and have some problems getting into gear.

So i change the fluid and filters....and what do i find.... a piece of aluminum...about and inch and a half long... kinda curved....and some very small tiny metal shavings. although the filters were fairly clean nowhere near stopped up..

shifting is a little smoother when drove real easy...but anything around half throttle it kicks when it shifts...kind of like it has a shift kit.

So im guessing the trans is about to give up...

anyone have any idea on what could be wrong... or if it might last a while

and what does it usually cost to have the trans rebuilt i was guessing around 2,000 or something...alot more then i can afford right now.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
you could probably get away with finding one in a junkyard. That is what I did for my 94 it costed around 1500 installed but I also had to replace the radiator as that is what destroyed my transmission. To do a rebuild would probably be 2-3 thousand.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
you could probably get away with finding one in a junkyard. That is what I did for my 94 it costed around 1500 installed but I also had to replace the radiator as that is what destroyed my transmission. To do a rebuild would probably be 2-3 thousand.
How did the radiator mess up the trans? My car has been overheating a little, and I just had to have the trans rebuilt $2600uch ( for the warranty company), but how are the two connected?

Thanks

not to threadjack

But, i was told a sensor in the trans failed, cause the trans to overheat, damaged the bands, torc converter and burned the fluid. I just had the fluid in the trans and radiator coolant changed by a Cadillac Dealer

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
price for a new trans...installed and 3 year warranty is $2832 figure that may be my best bet since everyone i know around here has been getting crappy trans rebuilds and shot transmissions out of junkyards.

also everyone i called will not warranty any of their work, except one place that quoted me the $2,832

1 - 4 of 4 Posts