Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a headache of a cadillac from probably the shadiest used car dealer in town. Car began leaking coolant 3 days after driving it off the lot. Brought it back and they showed me a paper I signed, at the very bottom of this paper in tiny writing it says the provided warranty does not cover coolant or oil leaks. They also informed me it shouldnt be leaking because they added stop leak to it... WOW

Anyway, Mechanic changed the water pump, thermostat housing and thermostat.... He showed me a crack in the housing that was smothered in RTV.

Drove it for literally one day and the radiator decides to crack. Just changed the radiator yesterday and drove it around a bit. Its not leaking anymore but when at a stop or under heavy acceleration, my coolant temp gauge goes past the halfway mark, sometimes it makes it to the next mark.

What I am thinking is the stopleak they added clogged up the heater core or cooling jackets in the engine. I would like to do a backflush, just wondering what the best method would be? Also, could there be anything I am missing? anything else causing the car to get so hot?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,406 Posts
You may have bought a pig in a poke. Go the the main Engines; Northstar page and study the stickies on cooling systems, fan operation, gauge operation and head gasket problems. Also, study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, way up in the top black bar.

Here's your temp gauge, normal running temp indication and fan sequencing.

You MIGHT be repairing a neglected cooling system as opposed to head gasket troubles. Pray.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does that S in the picture stand for? Thats about how high the temperature gets, after a few seconds itll drop back to normal though.

I have heard countlesss times about the head gasket problems these cars have, my car doesnt seem to be experiencing any blown head gasket symptoms, no shaking, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant.. none of that.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The S is where the fans go to slow speed, 224. f is fast, 236.

Northstars don't typically mix coolant and oil when there's an HG issue.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man just my luck... are there any other symptoms? and is it at least possible the stop leak Clogged something up? A flush and fill kit costs 4 bucks I'd love to try that before jumping to a $4000 problem

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,406 Posts
What does that S in the picture stand for? Thats about how high the temperature gets, after a few seconds itll drop back to normal though.
Look at the picture, then read the included notes.

Pour a scotch and water. Go down to Engines, Northstar and study the sticky posts on the main threads page - the ones on cooling systems, gauges, fans, and head gasket symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
The stop leak may well have clogged your purge line and that WILL cause it to overheat. Check to be sure the pule kine flows coolant. Check it after a cold start to prevent burns. Then replace anything that was patched with RTV.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts

Pour a scotch and water. Go down to Engines, Northstar and study the sticky posts on the main threads page - the ones on cooling systems, gauges, fans, and head gasket symptoms.
==========================
Pour a scotch and water. :arghh:
23 year old's are probably NOT into scotch - yet - :beer::cheers:

----------

Oh man just my luck... are there any other symptoms? and is it at least possible the stop leak Clogged something up? A flush and fill kit costs 4 bucks I'd love to try that before jumping to a $4000 problem
=============================
is it at least possible the stop leak Clogged something up?
do feel LUCKY? -
well - DO YA .........oh - sorry -

check the PURGE LINE for a constant - gentle - flow of coolant
when the engine is idling -

if you have any question about failed head gaskets -
do a BLOCK TEST -
the definitive test for failed HG's in the Northstar motor -

----------

The stop leak may well have clogged your purge line and that WILL cause it to overheat. Check to be sure the pule kine flows coolant. Check it after a cold start to prevent burns. Then replace anything that was patched with RTV.
=
=================================
Check to be sure the pule kine flows coolant
looks like Ranger DOES like scotch - :histeric::histeric::histeric:

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

==========================
Pour a scotch and water.

23 year old's are probably NOT into scotch - yet -

----------

=============================
is it at least possible the stop leak Clogged something up?
do feel LUCKY? -
well - DO YA .........oh - sorry -

check the PURGE LINE for a constant - gentle - flow of coolant
when the engine is idling -

if you have any question about failed head gaskets -
do a BLOCK TEST -
the definitive test for failed HG's in the Northstar motor -

----------

=
=================================
Check to be sure the pule kine flows coolant
looks like Ranger DOES like scotch -

Actually I am a big fan of The Glenlivet, best Scotch I've tasted in my 23 years..... I also drink J&B occasionally and Jameson Irish whiskey, but who doesn't drink Jameson... But, unfortunately, I am mostly a beer man.

Back on topic, I will be checking my purge line when I get home from work. That would be the line coming from the reservoir correct?

also, I popped the hood last night and the reservoir was near empty, I topped it off and drove it for an hour with No heating problems, I assume after changing the radiator, when I filled it with coolant it didnt conmpletely fill the radiator

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
Actually I am a big fan of The Glenlivet, best Scotch I've tasted in my 23 years..... I also drink J&B occasionally and Jameson Irish whiskey, but who doesn't drink Jameson... But, unfortunately, I am mostly a beer man.

Back on topic, I will be checking my purge line when I get home from work. That would be the line coming from the reservoir correct?

also, I popped the hood last night and the reservoir was near empty, I topped it off and drove it for an hour with No heating problems, I assume after changing the radiator, when I filled it with coolant it didnt conmpletely fill the radiator
===========================
I will be checking my purge line when I get home from work.
That would be the line coming from the reservoir correct

coolant actually flows FROM the hollow bolt at the thermostat housing -
TO the serge tank -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I assume after changing the radiator, when I filled it with coolant it didnt conmpletely fill the radiator
You probably did, but the engine purged air from the system and you didn't check it after driving it.

Check it again after the next drive (after it cools down).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts