Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville, 2000 SLS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 Seville (VIN: 1G6KS54Y6YU150928) which had an overheating problem and the water pump was supposed to have been replaced. I looked at car and drove it and it did go to normal temp but I put some water in the trunk and drove to Ohio from Oregon. When I got to Indianapolis the car overheated and didn't want to shift to high and by the time I got to Cincinnati it would not shift to high. I looked at the water pump and found that the water pump was not changed and the small cam driven belt broke. I repaired the belt pulley and the overheating stopped but the transmission still would not shift. I went to Auto Zone and had the codes run they said the voltage to the transmission solenoids was weak.

So, is it correct to assume that the solenoids are bad? Are they the sole cause of my problem?
How many solenoids are there?
How much should it cost to replace them and how can I tell which are bad?
Comments?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,297 Posts
No need to go anywhere to pull the DTC's. Pull them via the onboard diagnostics

Chances are it's the shift solenoids. There are two. They are in the pan so it is not difficult or expensive. If that is the cause, replace both.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,984 Posts
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - USING THE ON-BOARD SCANNER -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,261 Posts
Wondering how many times in the last three years have you posted this same question? Is it the same car, or a different one? Appears you've gotten the same answer each time from Sub or Bass.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,984 Posts
Wondering how many times in the last three years have you posted this same question? Is it the same car, or a different one? Appears you've gotten the same answer each time from Sub or Bass.
==================
Hmmmmmmmm - do I smell a RAT?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,326 Posts
Yep - click his username and open his past discussions. There were at least two on the 4T80E upshift to 4th (Overdrive) - not to 3rd (direct drive) or TCC (Converter Clutch engagement). This most recent thread on the upshift is for the same car from 2 years ago - Same VIN.

4th gear shift is done with internal line pressures. 1>2 and 2>3 is done with the solenoids on the valve body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts