Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Seville STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove in this morning. No problem.

Went to the parking lot for lunch, and the car started just fine, but I noticed the dash gauges were dark and not functioning. Also, the radio and A/C display was out, and the overhead lights were on. So I shut her down to restart.

When I tried again, she wouldn't start at all.

Let her sit for a few hours. Recognizes my key (Driver 2). Radio and A/C lights still out. Dash lights up just fine, but information doesn't show all info... like it displays the word TEMP and F, but doesn't actually display the temperature number. Same with the other calculated fields. It says the battery is "OK" but doesn't display the actual data about how many volts.

And the important thing is... IT WONT START.

Anybody have any ideas while I'm searching the site?

Thanks,
JC

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Your battery voltage is too low. If it falls bellow 9.?V the DIM turns off all VFD displays.
Start with your battery terminals.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Seville STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really was that simple. Jump started (straight to the under seat battery), and recharged.
Took battery to Autozone for a quick test, they thought it looked fine.
Waited a few hours, still seems to be OK.
All seems to be good for now. I think I'll just chalk it up to a glitch.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Mine did almost the same thing about 3 or 4 months ago. Would start fine in the morning, drive to work 25 miles averaging about 40 mph park it, go to lunch car starts fine, drive it about 10 miles round trip and park it, then come out at 6 to go home, and barely get a click from the starter. Get it jump started drive home everything is fine, stick it on a charger for a few hours and everything was fine for several days then it would do it al over again. It would happen randomly, like one day a week, never the same day, for the next couple of weeks. Battery always had greater than 12.5V when checked (except when it wouldn't start). Battery was only about a year old but it turned out it was bad. Replaced the battery and everything was fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts