Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great deal on a 2000 cadillac seville sts. Test drove it and love it..

I would appreciate anyone's comments with their experience with this car.
Any problems with it?

I have put a lot of money into my current vehicle (95 buick riviera) including a new transmission and motor in the last 6 months. And am hoping not to encounter the same types of problems with another car.
Thanks alot!!

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
We had a 1999 Seville STS (same basic car) and absolutely loved it. It was a really great car. We sold it to a friend and bought a 2003 DTS. What a mistake. I miss that STS. My friend is still driving the 99 STS with 180000 miles on it.

The ONLY issue we ever had with that car outside of routine maintenance was the gas gauge stopped working. It had a bad sending unit which is a very common GM issue. I don't think my friend has had any trouble with it.

I think we all (former and current owner of that car) agree that the 2000 era STS is one of the best cars made ever. In fact, it is one of the reasons I bought my 2006 STS-V because I loved that STS so much.

I have a co-worker with a 2002 STS and she feels the same way about her car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 sts and a 2006 stsv. Prefer driving the 2000 most days. Have also had several passengers tell me they strongly prefer the 2000. Plenty fast for everyday driving. Reasonably strong off the line and surprisingly potent on the freeway. Never been in the shop with 180K miles. Just a comfortable, powerful car for everyday driving, like your favorite pair of blue jeans. Excellent milage at a consistent 27 mpg on the highway. Easy on tires and brakes. Does well in the snow and rain with FWD. Oh, and the stereo blows the '06 away...Bose doesn't make them like that anymore.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
I have a 2000 sts and a 2006 stsv. Prefer driving the 2000 most days. Have also had several passengers tell me they strongly prefer the 2000. Plenty fast for everyday driving. Reasonably strong off the line and surprisingly potent on the freeway. Never been in the shop with 180K miles. Just a comfortable, powerful car for everyday driving, like your favorite pair of blue jeans. Excellent milage at a consistent 27 mpg on the highway. Easy on tires and brakes. Does well in the snow and rain with FWD. Oh, and the stereo blows the '06 away...Bose doesn't make them like that anymore.
Almost ditto for or previous '99...except we had to have the engine replaced at 55k(under warranty, of course)...when we sold it it had 80k.

Oh, and it was the Z rated tire version and had a top speed of 155, just like the V.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Watch that water pump fan belt. They are small and eventually will break. Most garages do not know that existed then. Result: Cooked engine.

A Caddy repairman friend of mine used to complain about water in trunk on a number of those cars. ????

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
:thumbsup: Jennylo..You're gonna love it. Take the VIN to a Cadillac dealer and have the service writer pull the GM maintenance history on the car. That will tell you if there are still any recalls outstanding and what the previous owner(s) had done. AND.....look at the top of the Cadillac Forum pages for the list titled "RPO". Download the pdf file. Then go to the sticker under the spare tire cover and decipher all the options installed in the car. Drive it like what it is: A fast luxury sports sedan. Don't be afraid to floor it up to 75-80 every couple of weeks. You may get some black smoke/dust the first couple of times. Enjoy. (PLEASE don't get hung up in "the right oil" or "the right gas". Read your owner's manual.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I had a '97 (previous body style) that treated me well for 160k miles. I sold it to my brother who drives it everyday. I sold it for a 2001 STS. I loved that '97 so much, I decided to try a newer one. It's been a great decision so far. The 98-04 Seville models are largely the same. In general, I would say I prefer the 2000+ cars because the engine was revised for that year to include better head bolt retention and optimization for 87 octane fuel. It handles so much better than my old SLS (understandable) and it runs like a bat out of hades. I've only used 87 octane fuel so far. My wife made me get the White Diamond and I hug her every day for it.

http://photos.jnjhome.net/thumbnails.php?album=28

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
Watch that water pump fan belt. They are small and eventually will break. Most garages do not know that existed then. Result: Cooked engine.

A Caddy repairman friend of mine used to complain about water in trunk on a number of those cars. ????
I thought i was the only one with the water in the trunk problem...any help with this PLEASE!! i have a 98 seville sts and i have no idea where its coming from...all of my rubber and seals seem fresh and intack...besides that, i absolutely love my car

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I have exactly what you asked . It's a great car and fast as well . If you are not one of the people who complain about FWD then go for it .

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
I thought i was the only one with the water in the trunk problem...any help with this PLEASE!! i have a 98 seville sts and i have no idea where its coming from...all of my rubber and seals seem fresh and intack...besides that, i absolutely love my car
Leaky trunks are a standard feature on these cars. Do a search as it have been discussed many times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You will love any of the 2000+ STS's. I chose a 2001 over a 2000 because (I believe) the 2001 was the first year to allow for low octane fuel. Also, the 2001 had HID lamps, an improved Bose radio, and 17" wheels.

I test drove both before I made my decsion, and there was no noticeable difference. Both were a dream to drive. Now, 2 years later, I still love the car.

Change the oil (5w30) and coolant (Dexcool with Barr's Leak) as soon as you get it! I would also change the tranny fluid.

Enjoy.:):)

MG.....

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Mike, do you know how they improved the Bose sound system for 2001?
I've owned a 99 and an 01, and to my ears, they sounded about the same?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
Any Northstar "can" run on low octane fuel. 2000 was the first year it was recommended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure what the Bose improvements were. Somewhere in my internet travels while I was checking out the 2001 STS, I read something about the Bose system was tweaked a bit more for 2001. And you are right about them sounding the same - I tried both systems on my test drives. So who knows?

MG.....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
:rolleyes: ........from an ex-part time home high fidelity/stereo equipment salesman......."Good ol' Bose; No highs, no lows".

·
Registered
1998 FireMist Gold Seville STS
108 Posts
I have a 98 sts bought it used with 60,000 did all the normal maintenance that was needed owned it 2 years just rolled 83,700 this am. My problem is i got too many cars and have not been driving this one enought but in reality i love this sts and i would buy another in a heart beat!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If the coolant wasnt changed *this is CRITICAL and should have been done in 2004 REGARDLESS of mileage!* I would skip it. Also, there is no difference in the Bose 4.0 from 98 to 01, its the same system.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts