Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I replace my standard option of radio and cassette player with an original navigation system from the same gen?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
Yes, but you'll need to install the windshield and rear window with the antennas in them. The original head unit is programmed with the car's VIN and is part of the TheftLock, content theft, and serial data bus systems. A new GM head unit must be programmed to that VIN by a dealership. No NAV updates past about 2006 for your car. An aftermarket system needs a set of harnesses and jumpers from Crutchfield, otherwise you lose all sorts of button functions on the dash and steering wheel as well as some warning chimes.

Cheaper, faster, more accurate, traffic info, and free lifetime updates with a Garmin dash mount GPS.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,854 Posts
Can I replace my standard option of radio and cassette player with an original navigation system from the same gen?
==================
there are LOTS of hoops to jump through -

there was a major change in electronics starting in 2002 -
this means you can ONLY use a radio from a 1998 to 2001 Seville -
or a 2000 or 2001 Deville - 2002 and newer WILL NOT WORK -
this goes for the 6-disc CD player too -

BOSE to BOSE - or non BOSE to non-BOSE only -

as Sub already said -
the TheftLoc system records the vehicle's VIN the first time the radio is turned on -
then compares the current VIN with the recorded VIN each time the radio is turned on -
IF they match - the radio works -
if they do NOT match - the radio is LOCKED -
and can only be unlocked by using the TECH2 scan tool -

the NAV radio has an internal button battery that keeps the software in memory if main power is lost -
the problem is WHEN both main power is lost - AND the button battery is dead -
the NAV radio looses it's software - and NO ONE has the original disc to re-load the software -
the radio becomes a useless brick -

next - the actual nav part of the system will NOT work
until you hack into the car and the radio to add a signal from a hub speed sensor -

after you add the speed sensor signal -
you must add the GPS antenna -

after all of that messing around -
you'll have a working NAV radio - with OBSOLETE maps -
YUP - the NEWEST available maps are from 2008 - and will never updated beyond that -

LOTS of time - money and aggravation for VERY little reward -

you'd be MUCH better off getting an aftermarket system -
and with the CORRECT modules - the new radio would be plug-n-play -
and the steering wheel controls would function as they should -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
Decide on the size of your wallet, then talk to the guys at Crutchfield.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,854 Posts
Okay thanks you two. If I am to get an aftermarket one which one would work best for my car?
==================
one of our long-term members - RON93 -
installed an aftermarket nav radio in his Deville - without any issues -
you should contact him

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,097 Posts
The Kenwood DNX 574s (now I think it is a 576s) would be a great unit to fit all your needs. It would give you the latest technology at a affordable price. Garmin navigation with up gradable maps, DVD video and music, HD radio, Apple car play and Android auto, bluetooth, usb, etc.. all the works. The harnesses you would need to hook it all up would be the the PAC OS-2-GM32 and to retain all your steering wheel controls the PAC-SWI-CP2. It has XM radio also but that also requires a separate module and obviously a subscription. Putting in a oem nav unit is a waste of time as your using 20 year old technology with maps that were last updated in 2008. If you go buy it at a place that does free installs with the purchase (Best Buy maybe?) it should run you about $600-$650. You will have zero issues with your car using this system and the install is quite easy if you can do it yourself. And the best part is it looks factory! Here is my 2000 Deville

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,358 Posts
I would get something with Android Auto so that you can use Waze. I did it on one of my cars and it is 100x better than the factory nav.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
481 Posts
I installed a Pioneer Avic X920BT back in October 2010 in my 1993 Seville. Likely far outdated today in 2020, but still likely far better than the 2001 factory nav in the 5th gen Seville:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts