Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little bit of a burning rubber smell and some smoke coming out near the belt on my 2000 seville. It's not near the serpentine belt it's the smaller belt on the other side near the air valve and air box.

What's connected to this belt?

Thnks for the help.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
that's the water pump belt (driven off of one of the camshafts)

sounds like you need the belt, pulley and tensioner checked out to make sure all are still okay

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
yup was just going to say that found out what that belt was the hard way about year ago

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
You are looking at a water pump belt and if it is smoking and burning, the possibility is that the tensioner pulley is seized. You need to immediately replace the tensioner/pulley and put a new belt, or it will melt the other pulleys (if it hasn't yet). Simple enough to do it yourself if you have basic tools.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
zeus, Remove the plastic radiator cover. The water pump drive pulley cover is held on by 3 10mm fasteners - a bolt and 2 nuts. Remove it. Use a 10 mm open end on the ridge on the tensioner arm to lever it and release the tension. The tensioner assembly is fixed by the 2 long stud bolts that the 10 mm nuts came off of. Remove them and the tensioner arm. You can replace the pulley itself - half the price of the whole assembly. Remove the pulley retainer bolt. Fish the belt out and off the water pump pulley. Install a new belt making sure the belt is in all 3 water pump pulley grooves. Install the overhauled tensioner and again make sure the belt is aligned with all the pulleys. Replace the shroud and radiator cover.

Hopefully, you do all this before the drive pulley on the cam extension burns up - that's a bear to find and requires a power steering pulley remove/install kit to get it off the cam - it's pressed on, and you MUST use only the grooved hub to get it off. Your drive pulley may still have a protective plastic cap installed - it unscrews with a Torx bit and exposes the threads in the end of the cam which are used to pull the new pulley (if necessary) back onto the extension - the pulley hub is flush with the cam extension face.

Water pump replacement, if necessary, is covered down in Discussions, Technical Tips. 9 pages of "how to" that covers just about every question asked in all these Seville and Deville threads.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone. sub - thanks again. Seems like I've been having problem after problem with this car lately. Dealership wanted over 2 grand to fix it (they didn't notice the water pump belt though). They told me I need a steering rack too. I fixed a bunch of things including plenum, vacuum harness, vac solenoid, plugs...and a couple other little things...still running lean though and it stalls on me every time i start it. Not sure what I'm gonna do. But thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I was out of town for a few days...

I cleaned the TB a few days after the plenum job, new o-rings on injectors, new vacuum harness, cleaned up when I had the intake manifold off...

Only thing I can think of that I haven't done anything about yet is the vacuum line running from the TB to the fuel pressure regulator...it snapped and I replaced it with generic vacuum line from autozone. Maybe I used the wrong size line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts