Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 Cadillac DeVille. When I turn the key to the start position, it fires right up like it should... BUT the starter sometimes stays engaged.. even when I shut the motor off and have the key out the starter will continue to spin on its own... I've been checking google and can't really find anything about this happening to anyone else... Unsure if it's the starter, the ICM, the PCM.. Any suggestions/answers?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Is it run on(meaning still trying to start car) or just spinning?
The circuit is fairly simple, the solenoid is engaged throwing the bendix into the flex plate and allowing current into the starter motor. If it is not run on the starter is probably bad(solenoid at least). If it is run on could be a different issue.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,635 Posts
:welcome:

Yeah, sounds like the starter pinion is not disengaging and that would point to the solenoid or a failed return spring.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
The starter main power cable (battery connection, cables 1 and 13, red) is hot at all times. The IGN circuit in the ignition switch energizes the solenoid which simultaneously engages the starter pinion AND closes a large contact plate in the solenoid. If that contact plate and/or contacts become welded or the solenoid operating shaft corrodes and binds, it can hold the electrical contact plate in the RUN position - nothing short of disconnecting the red starter battery cable will stop it. Releasing the ignition key from the START position does not shut down the starter in that case - it only drops out solenoid engagement power. In extreme cases the starter may catch fire.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks or all the info, went out to start it today and nothing happens when I turn the key to the start position... So, I'm thinking the starter is completely fried?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If the battery isn't completely dead than yes starter probably gave up the ghost. They will be intermittent when going bad or act up. Short of checking cable connection at starter i see a new starter in your future. Not hard on N* engines,, easy on the back compared to most.

·
Administrator
68,043 Posts
Your starter is under the intake manifold - the manifold is dry (no coolant involved) so simple hand tools and some Cadillac Tech Tips searching will do it. 2.5 hours.

Google "cadillac forums 2000 deville northstar starter motor replacement" or something close.

DO NOT buy a starter from AutoZone - NAPA or maybe RockAuto.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to go with an advance auto starter, thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it run on(meaning still trying to start car) or just spinning?
The circuit is fairly simple, the solenoid is engaged throwing the bendix into the flex plate and allowing current into the starter motor. If it is not run on the starter is probably bad(solenoid at least). If it is run on could be a different issue.
I think the relay is being told that the engine hasn't started, ,mine in cold weather, under zero the starter doesn't stop till the engine is full Temp ,( key in or out,I hope that ashole that designed a computer system for a car should be hanging from a frozen tree ( absolutely no reason to have a computer system in a car I don't care about your B/S excuse

·
Administrator
68,043 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. BTW, the thread was dead for 5.3 years. No one of the OPs has logged in recently.

I have no "BS excuse" - every car now on earth is run/controlled/operated/monitored by "computers" - fact of life. My 1965 - yes, 1965 - Chevelle Malibu SS 327 had "transistor ignition". Computer enough for you - 55 years ago ?

Assuming that you own one of the Northstar FWD cars in question, if your starter runs on after the engine reaches 450 rpm increasing then you have electrical problems. The "computer" does NOT relay-latch the starter motor to START any longer than needed to get the engine to roll and fire.

Pull your stored diagnostic trouble codes and have at it.

EDIT: Cold continuous starter engagement sounds like a sticking solenoid or contact plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts