Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
00 ETC 02 Lighting
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up at 2000 Eldorado ETC with 43,000 miles for $9999 from a BMW dealer. Car looks new, 1 owner that kept everything including window sticker.

Also bought a 2 year/24k warranty that covers most everything. Any common problems I should know about? Already plan on changing the coolant next week. Starting a couple days ago I hear a bubbling/popping sound from the right side when I first start the car and sometimes it continues for a few minutes. I assume it's related to the suspension and it doesn't happen every time I drive it.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Biggest thing is to do a search here under headgaskets, antifreeze, coolant, etc. Some Northstars have had headgasket problems.Also, go ahead and replace small fan belt on driver's side. It controls water pump. $11 belt + 1/2 hr labor. DIY too, very easy.

Other helpful hints, change out radiator and heater hoses, as rubber deteriorates with age. Change antifreeze. Flush entire system. DYI. Newest antifreeze is better than stuff sold four or five years ago.

Only other item of (small) concern is the device that controls the a/c vents. One on pass side goes out. Not sure of price of part or labor.

Otherwise, car is bulletproof.

Stick with AcDelco alternator, a/c compressor, etc. Aftermarket parts are junk.

Last bit of advice. For the next month or two, drive with the instrument panel showing the engine temp in front of your face. Normal temp is about 210 or so. In heavy slow traffic, perhaps 222 or so. When temp gets in the 230 range, start pulling over. If it gets into the 240 range, buy a bus ticket. Again, if you change antifreeze, fan belt, hoses, etc., you should be ok. Oh, there is a bypass hose near water pump that should be changed.

Good luck. You have a good car.

You might pay a few $$ more for part, but you will not have to incur labor charges more than once (with any luck).

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
I like the silver. Very nice color, and easier to keep looking good. That's not the stock grill though, is it?

·
Registered
00 ETC 02 Lighting
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the silver. Very nice color, and easier to keep looking good. That's not the stock grill though, is it?
Not stock but dealer installed. Glad the other owner kept everything. I like the stock look, but I guess I'll keep this on. Not going to catch the mod bug for this vehicle, that's why I needed another car for a dd. I put tint on this already and I'll add exhaust later, that's it.:rolleyes:

I was looking at a 02, but it had more miles and was black/black. I don't think I could do that here in Florida.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice car! My parents had a 2000 ESC years ago and it's what compelled me to buy an Eldorado for myself. They're a great vehicle.

As far as coolant goes, you're already a step ahead since your car uses DEX-COOL and not the green ethylene glycol found in earlier Northstars. I'd still change it just to be safe. We also had a water pump fail at about 19k, but it could have been a fluke.

Some Northstars are known for crank position sensor failures. We had two of them go out on the '00. If the car randomly stalls while you're driving or has a hard time starting, you may want to check those sensors first. (After pulling the trouble codes, of course.)

Starting in 2000, GM reengineered the Northstar and part of the improvements allowed it to run on 87 octane. Older engines could get by with 87 too, but they were expected to be run on premium. Not so with '00+, despite the fact that the fuel gauge states to "use premium unleaded only." They never updated the instrument cluster.

The door panels sometimes get loose and tend to fall off, usually on the bottom. It wasn't a very good design.

That's about all I can think of right now. Aside from the head gasket issues (which are covered quite in-depth here), there's not much else to worry about. It's like anything else -- maintain it properly, and it'll last a long time. Good luck!

·
Registered
00 ETC 02 Lighting
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Found out onstar still works, but they keep calling me Dr. :thumbsup:

Took her into the Caddy dealership to get the once over and check coolant. They said the car was in great shape(must be the 43k miles), coolant was fine just had the brake and power steering fluid changed.

I am liking this car more every day I drive it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts