Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2000 ETC
1959 Sedan DeVille 1966 Factory Formal Limousine 1967 Fleetwood Brougham 1968 Fleetwood Brougham 196
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2000 ETC. I have read all the forums. I did the VATS bypass. I have been driving (exclusively) and working on Cadillacs for almost fifty years. Can't figure this one out.

Addendum: Had to junk my 94 Eldo' last spring. Am I going to have to junk this one too?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
Many SIR functions are monitored so there may be a clue there.

The theft problem may be in the steering column VATS wiring or connectors. Noticed your other post in a long-dead thread.

What trouble codes are listed in the car's built-in OBD-II scanner? The OBD port is fused - underhood fuse box - may be your code pull problem.

data link connector.gif

·
2000 ETC
1959 Sedan DeVille 1966 Factory Formal Limousine 1967 Fleetwood Brougham 1968 Fleetwood Brougham 196
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Submariner,

Thanks for your assistance. I can not pull codes through the climate control or with a scanner from the OBD-2 port. I have always been able in the past. Even with my 94 Eldo, and I think that was before they had the OBD-2. Of course I expected the battery and/or connections, but have ruled that out. When you open the door or unlock it with the key (It does not respond from the remote), the security lights don't come up . When I turn the ignition to "on", the dash array slowly lights up then starts with the Security/Air Bag messages. of course when I turn the key to "Start", nothing happens. The high blower fan kicks on then turns off shortly after I turn the ignition to "off". When I get in the car there is no evidence of any power going anywhere, but of course the seats function as normal, so I know there is power going to where it is supposed to go. I had this trouble once before, and it was a fuse in the trunk and it let me pull codes to diagnose that. But it is not telling me anything, everyday I go out, hook or unhook the battery, try various things, checked all the fuses of course ir it is the PCM or the BCM I am afraid it is going to have to go to the junkyard. That is what I had to do with my '94 after the brake lines rotted out and the fuel pump crapped out (no access panel of course).

·
2000 ETC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have exclusively owned and worked on my own Cadillacs for almost fourty years. This is the first problem I have not been able to resolve. I have read all the forums, read; all owners manuals and even have a factory service manual in pdf format.
2000 CADILLAC ELDORADO ETC 94K MILES
PROBLEM: ERROR MESSAGE THAT COMES UP ON DISPLAY WHEN YOU TURN IGNITION ON "PROBLEM WITH THE VEHICLE THEFT SYSTEM" "VEHICLE MAY NOT RESTART" " SERVICE AIRBAG"
DETAILS: Can not pull codes either from OBD2 Port or through instrument cluster (climate control). There is power going to port. When you enter into vehicle, you must use door key to unlock, no remote functions operable. As you slide in there is no "security" leds flashing. Everything appears dead. The only thing that seems to have powerand works are the electric seat adjustments. When you insert key turn on ignition, very slowly doesthe dash array light up. L.E.D.s for the gear selection all flash simultaneously, eventually the blower kicks on high but no apparent power to climate control. As you turn it to start, everything goes dead. When you turn back to ignition dash lightscome back on. Blower finally shuts off and you are sitting there with the gear selection on and flashing the rest of the dash array is light nothing else functions, except I think headlights come on. Battery is okay six months old, . Battery was disconnected for as long as a week hoping system would reset. Reluctantly, (because I did not think it was the problem) I spiced into the orange wire and installed 4.50000 K K ohms resistor between the two white wires coming from the harness. As specified in the VATS BYPASS instructions. When you exit vehicle there is no evidence of any consuming power, however after one week sitting with battery hooked up, battery dropped to 3.4 volts, it was pulled taken back to auto parts they tested and recharged said everything is okay. I think there is some sort of parasitic voltage drain. Checked all fuses. Can not pull codes. Suspect PCM/BCM and/or related circuitry. Been working on this (about) sic weeks. I anticipate I may have to junk the vehicle. Cannot find anyone who can address and solve this problem. In my opion I do not think the Cadillac dealer could provide a viable solution. All they say is (tow it on in).

·
2000 ETC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done the VATS bypass with the appropriate resistor. Will not be pull codes either through OBD2 port or climate control. checked all fuses, swapped replays. Power to seats and trunk pull down. Working on this for weeks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
Good evening, Your 3 threads on the same subject have been merged into this one.

The Electrical forum is VERY quiet and little-used. It's really a leftover from the original site startup 18 years ago.

·
2000 ETC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Quiet? Does that you need to be an "Exclusive" member to post there?

Many SIR functions are monitored so there may be a clue there.

The theft problem may be in the steering column VATS wiring or connectors. Noticed your other post in a long-dead thread.

What trouble codes are listed in the car's built-in OBD-II scanner? The OBD port is fused - underhood fuse box - may be your code pull problem.

View attachment 584019
OBD2 Port receiving power. Lights up my scanner.

On the DLC (data link) connector are you suggesting I check the various pins for their assigned value?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts