Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado etc
1 Posts
I have an 2000 Eldorado etc with 140,000 miles on it. It have a oil leak at the front of the car. I read that this happen a lot and is very expensive to repair. Is there a better cost efficient way to control the leak. I bought the car for a good price and would really like to enjoy it if it doesn't break me. Any help will be appreciated.

Thread moved to Seville/Eldorado from Catera

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There are several places the oil could be leaking from. Some are cheap to repair, some are very expensive. You have to know where it's coming from before you can fix it.

Very front of the car? Oil filter/filter adapter gasket, oil pressure switch, maybe the left side valve cover. You'll have to clean up the engine, drive for a while, and take a look for the source.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Re: 2000 Eldorado etc oil leak

You'll have a better chance of getting an answer if you post this in the Eldorado forum. Not that we don't want to help, we just have enough keeping up with the Catera's issues.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
1 Posts

I know it sounds crazy, but if you're not a gearhead and you want to take a stab at a low cost fix for a reasonable oil leak, I'd head up to your local auto store or look online for something like Blue Devil's stop leak - http://store.gobluedevil.com/oil-stop-leak-49499/. I've used this on three old cars with oil leaks and it substantially helped on two of them. The one that it didn't, it didn't hurt anything either. Check the reviews online, some people have pretty good luck with this, and for an older car, spending $20 to get an extra year or two out of it to save thousands in car payments or purchasing something used isn't a bad play.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts

You'll find that most advice in CF is to repair problems correctly and not to use BandAids. One reason being that most of us would hate to have a prospective used Cadillac owner stuck with someone else's problems and lies.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts

I know it sounds crazy, but if you're not a gearhead and you want to take a stab at a low cost fix for a reasonable oil leak, I'd head up to your local auto store or look online for something like Blue Devil's stop leak - http://store.gobluedevil.com/oil-stop-leak-49499/. I've used this on three old cars with oil leaks and it substantially helped on two of them. The one that it didn't, it didn't hurt anything either. Check the reviews online, some people have pretty good luck with this, and for an older car, spending $20 to get an extra year or two out of it to save thousands in car payments or purchasing something used isn't a bad play.
=================================
NEVER use this crap - :tisk:

it swells rubber seals and gaskets -
and will eventually destroy them -
causing bigger leaks than ever -

the ONLY people recommending this stuff -
are the people who sell it -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts