Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, This may be wordy, but as a former medic, a good prognosis requires a good "history".

I am facing an axle replacement (drivers side) on my 2000 ELDO, ETC. I have reviewed previous task specific posts in the forum and I generally update to heavy duty applications as parts go "T U".
I live in rural desert SW area and returning home the other day (+109 temp, in mountain gorge, no exit X 15mi, no AAA) the transmission (I figured) made a slipping sound while passing a semi and acceleration dropped-off. I was in fast lane next to Big Rig to my right and big truck behind. Pucker factor climbing I start to get resistance to acceleration/shuttering at 65mph getting louder on the downhill, changing lanes I shift into Neutral and sound diminishes then abates. After +1/4mi, I attempt shifting to Drive... and it works w/o issue momentarily, but as acceleration is only strategically needed a few times in that gorge I risk not stopping & towing it home. After rolling thru 2 rural "yield" signs I made it into my garage, without grinding sound, where ATF poured freely onto the ground until I killed the engine then saw the line of ATF (?) which followed me out of driveway and down my dirt road,& out of sight.

My [untrained] inspection shows CV grease explosion. Not much else evident.
[Replace?]
Drivers side "half-shaft" axle and seal are my assumption, as well as refill ATF? Do I need to consider one company for heavy-duty parts options over another? Are there any other likely pitfalls, or are there reasonably priced parts (polyur bushings etc?) that are sound/easily replaced at this juncture?
I have also received one of the two Monroe 90011-2s struts from a pending front strut & rear shock Elec-to-Conv (w/resistors) replacement, but been piecing together parts slowly due to fix'd-income.
Thank you kindly for your help in advance.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
773 Posts
ATF on the ground? It's not a CV shaft issue into the axle came out of the transmission.

Need to check axle to tranny points see who as tranny cooler lines.

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I follow, but I appreciate your speaking up. Not being a mechanic, my nomenclatures may be off.

If there is CV joint grease all over the inner fender-well, that is not a CV shaft issue? So if not the "CV half-shaft" what do I order online (as a start) other than the "CV half-shaft assembly & Trans output shaft seal please ?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
773 Posts
If grease on the fender, then yes, you probably blew a CV joint cover. You can replace the boot cover, but need to clean and repack everything to make sure nothing got inside.

When pulling the axle to replace the tranny output seal, be sure to the dust/rock shield is in place to protect the seal.

I prefer to replace the whole axle when doing these types of repairs. New axle in, the old axle then gets properly cleaned and rebuilt and put on the shelf waiting for is turn. . .

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,301 Posts
CV grease is usually a greenish metallic color grease. Trans fluid is a redish oil. If it's around the iner fender well, it's most likely CV grease. Stick your finger in the CV boot and feel for a rip in the valley of the folds.

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The line of fluid following me into the garage was red (ish), ATF fluid. The yellowish green grease on the fender well was CV grease according to previous photo posts (here).

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wilco Ranger, But as half-shafts are <$50.00 and it made the shuttering noise, (binding at CV joint?) would it not behoove me to replace half-shaft with boots included?
(respectfully)

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Submariner409,
On above 2000 ETC after replacing trans-axle and output shaft seal I still have an intermittent ATF leak from unknown origin, there is no drips/leaks at Output Shaft seal, but approximately 1 - 4 oz leak (in a straight line drip on drivers side) is present on reversing out of garage. Then the leak stops for that outing. As I pull out of garage I have to turn wheel , but leak starts before wheels turn. Is there an inner seal or two that I should replace?

Lastly I have acquired a 2nd trans-axle and the "FixAll" stabilizer bearing for "upgrade" during front-end rebuild/upgrade.
(Struts, coils, ball joints, control a's, by-pass resisters for ride-control, etc...) to be attempted with the fixing of ATF leak pending more information. Thank you gentlemen...

·
Super Moderator
86,301 Posts
Have you checked the trans cooler lines for leaks? They are on the drivers side.

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you checked the trans cooler lines for leaks? They are on the drivers side.
I will today, I will clean those and then look for new fluid leaks, thank you.

Though it's a bit of a band-aid for my 19+ yr old Eldo, will "AT-203 RESEAL" hurt the transmission? Should I use it?

Again I thank you, without you all I'd be....... (pregnant) ?

RLTW!

·
Super Moderator
86,301 Posts
I'm with Sub. I am no transmission expert, but the trans is the LAST place I'd put a sealer.

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I'm under the front end I'm looking for all things to replace and I come to the sway-bar bushings, so I use my plastic slide caliper and it says 20mm. (or so I think) I go to Energy Suspension website, (although I know AC-Delco is the standard)
So their's & RockAuto have 19,21,29,31mm. bushings. So I guess I have to put batteries in the digital calipers and remeasure, but that brings up my next obvious question, what size front sway bar do I want for my manual conversion suspension?

Why wouldn't I want to convert to a 31mm if that was an option? (If spirited driving were the goal?)
Thank you.

·
Registered
Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I'm under the front end I'm looking for all things to replace and I come to the sway-bar bushings, so I use my plastic slide caliper and it says 20mm. (or so I think) I go to Energy Suspension website, (although I know AC-Delco is the standard)
So their's & RockAuto have 19,21,29,31mm. bushings. So I guess I have to put batteries in the digital calipers and remeasure, but that brings up my next obvious question, what size front sway bar do I want for my manual conversion suspension?

Why wouldn't I want to convert to a 31mm if that was an option? (If spirited driving were the goal?)
Thank you.
Perfectly OK to keep the thread open with a continuous train of thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts