Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Escalade
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ran into an issue recently where my engine was pinging when I put my foot down heavy on the accelerator, usually when getting on the freeway or similar. I asked my mechanic, and he told me to try higher octane gas. Sure enough, I put a tank of 91 in, and the pinging was instantly gone.

Is this a gas quality issue or something up with the engine? If the engine is designed for 87, shouldn't that be all I need? I usually get gas at Costco, and their gas has been top tier for a while. I'm also in Southern California, could this be from all the ethanol in gas now?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts and better knowledge on this.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2000 Escalade
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible, but I was getting the pinging for a few months before I asked my mechanic about it.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
Hi all,

I ran into an issue recently where my engine was pinging when I put my foot down heavy on the accelerator, usually when getting on the freeway or similar. I asked my mechanic, and he told me to try higher octane gas. Sure enough, I put a tank of 91 in, and the pinging was instantly gone.

Is this a gas quality issue or something up with the engine? If the engine is designed for 87, shouldn't that be all I need? I usually get gas at Costco, and their gas has been top tier for a while. I'm also in Southern California, could this be from all the ethanol in gas now?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts and better knowledge on this.

Thank you!
Two things come to mind. A dirty mass air flow sensor or a bad knock sensor. I would clean the MAF Sensor.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ah I would check the knock sensor

Mass air flow sensor wouldn't cause the engine to ping
I have had it happen before. I heard pinging and knocking weeks before check engine light came on. Codes P0171 and P0174. Cleaned MAF sensor and was good again.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Skier-24 said:
I have had it happen before. I heard pinging and knocking weeks before check engine light came on. Codes P0171 and P0174. Cleaned MAF sensor and was good again.
Mine has thrown the maf code p0101 before and didn't ping

P0171 is a lean code
P0174 means bank 2 is running lean
The maf can trigger those codes but so can a leak in the intake downstream of the maf

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mine has thrown the maf code p0101 before and didn't ping

P0171 is a lean code
P0174 means bank 2 is running lean
The maf can trigger those codes but so can a leak in the intake downstream of the maf
P0171 is lean bank 1. What is P0101?

----------

P0171 is lean bank 1. What is P0101?
Never mind. I looked it up. P0101 means defective, bad wiring or out of range. P0171 and P0174 indicate lean conditions but within the range of the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Skier-24 said:
P0171 is lean bank 1. What is P0101? ---------- Never mind. I looked it up. P0101 means defective, bad wiring or out of range. P0171 and P0174 indicate lean conditions but within the range of the MAF sensor.
I have had the p0101 code multiple times so I figure the sensor is failing due to age

·
Registered
2000 Escalade
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'll clean the MAF sensor. What is the safest way to do that? I'll also check into the knock sensor. Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, I've gotten no codes or pending ones.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok, I'll clean the MAF sensor. What is the safest way to do that? I'll also check into the knock sensor. Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, I've gotten no codes or pending ones.
The safest wah would be buy a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. Spray the sensor wire gently, but never touch it. When you think it is clean, spray it again. Some contaminants can be stubborn. Let it dry before putting back together. Like Cadillac Man suggested, look for any source of vacuum leaks while you are in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts